Problems with asp:placeholder nested withing datalist

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris Ericoli, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I am wanting to add a usercontrol programatically to a placeholder's control
    collection. The placeholder is coded within the ITEMTEMPLATE of a datalist.
    The problem that I am facing, is that when I render the page, the
    placeholder variable (that I have declared as per the ID of the placeholder
    control), is throwing an error of object not set. When I do a watch on the
    placeholder variable, it's value is NOTHING, implying that it has not been
    tied to the actual control.

    I have checked and rechecked to ensure that the variable name is the same as
    the control's ID. I have tried creating other controls within the
    ITEMTEMPLATE, and the same thing happens - they do not instantiate with the
    page's render. I thought that perhaps they only instantiate once the
    datalist item object is created, so inspected the state within the
    datalist.itemcreated event - same thing.

    Am slowly losing hope - any help would be great.

    Cheers

    Chris
    Chris Ericoli, Oct 30, 2003