Problems with aspnet_wp getting authetication to remote machines

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by omar, Apr 16, 2005.

  1. omar

    omar Guest

    Please help me understand what is going on:

    I have a web server sitting in the DMZ. I have an app server sitting on the
    inside on the firewall. THe Web server talks to the app server using .net
    remoting over port 80. I use the http channel and binary formatting. I am
    using the Trusted Subsystem model. I have changed the ASPNET account on both
    servers and in their respective machine.config files. Before I have moved the
    web server to the DMZ, this arrangment worked fine and I was able to
    autheitcate under the ASPNET account to the app server from the web server.
    After we moved the web server to the DMZ, I now get "The remote server
    returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. ". THe weird thing here is if I use
    the Identitiy Impersonate element in the web.config and add the ASPNET
    account itself, i get access !!!!!! So it seems the aspnet worker process is
    picking up some credentials from the machine.config file that are not what I
    set. Because if I do the same using the impersonate element, same ASPNET user
    account and same password from the machine.config file (i put that in the the
    identitiy element), i get access to the app server on the other side of the
    firewall. Any ideas?

    thx.

    omar, Apr 16, 2005