Problems with BinaryWrite, IE and Adobe Reader 6.0

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jens S0nderby Munk, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I'm having some problems with the Reponse.BinaryWrite, IE 6.0 and Adobe Reader 6.0. When I try to write a pdf-file to an IE browser with a Adobe Reader 6.0 installed then it just displays a blank page and the earth on the top rigth corner keeps turning like it haven't read the pdf-file (for 10+ minutes on a lan).

    If I change the settings on the Adobe Reader 6.0 to not open in a browser, then it works fine.
    If I use Mozilla 1.4 then it opens fine as well.
    It works fine as well with Adobe Reader 5.1.

    The code looks like this:
    [Some code that places the pdf-file in a byte array called vntStream]
    Response.Clear
    Response.ContentType = "Application/pdf"
    Response.BinaryWrite = vntStream
    Response.end

    I have tried to place a Response.Flush after the BinaryWrite, but it just makes the Adobe plug-in say something like "document corupted".

    Can anyone help, please.

    /Jens

    Jens S0nderby Munk, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Jens S0nderby Munk

    Alan Guest

    Hi there,

    Is this a typo:
    > Response.BinaryWrite = vntStream

    BinaryWrite is a function, not a property. Have you tried persisting the PDF
    to disk and Response.Redirecting?

    Cheers,

    Alan

    Alan, Aug 7, 2003

  3. "Alan" <> writes:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Is this a typo:
    >> Response.BinaryWrite = vntStream

    That is of course a typo

    >BinaryWrite is a function, not a property. Have you tried persisting the PDF
    >to disk and Response.Redirecting?

    Yes, I have tried that, and it works, but this is not a option as the PDF-fiels are not public accessable and the access control is done by the application. The conplexity of the access control does not allow me to place the files in a tree structure with access control.

    /Jens

    Jens S0nderby Munk, Aug 8, 2003