problems with caching after the browser is shut

Neil Cooper

Hi

Not sure if this the right group or not but here it goes.

Here is a part excerpt of my code in the Page_Load Event

'Create cache if the cache object doesn't exist yet
If IsNothing(Cache.Get("dsAllResults")) Then

' Use various SelectCommand to fill the 4 SqlAdapters

' Add all tables to a single data set
dsAllResults.Tables.Add(Client)
dsAllResults.Tables.Add(Calendar)
dsAllResults.Tables.Add(Result)
dsAllResults.Tables.Add(Remedy)

' Cache Data Set for 5 minutes
Cache.Add("dsAllResults", dsAllResults,
Nothing, DateTime.MaxValue, _
System.TimeSpan.FromMinutes(intCacheTimeout), _
Caching.CacheItemPriority.Default, Nothing)
Else
dsAllResults = Cache("dsAllResults")

End If
If Not (IsPostBack) Then
' Bind the client dropdown
drpClient.Items.Clear()

If Not (drpClient.SelectedItem Is Nothing)
Then
drpClient.SelectedItem.Text = ""
drpClient.SelectedItem.Value = ""
drpClient.SelectedItem.Selected = False

End If

drpClient.DataSource = dsAllResults.Tables
("Client")
drpClient.DataValueField = "ClientID"
drpClient.DataTextField = "Name"
drpClient.DataBind()
drpClient.Items.Insert(0, "")

End If
End Sub

This all works fine and has made the page run much
faster , the problem i have is if some one has shut the
browser down and they re-open it again.

The page loads again and opens from the cache fine but
when it gets to this point things go funny.

drpClient.DataSource = dsAllResults.Tables("Client")
drpClient.DataValueField = "ClientID"
drpClient.DataTextField = "Name"
drpClient.DataBind()
drpClient.Items.Insert(0, "")

Up until drpClient.DataBind() everything is fine, as soon
as stepped over drpClient.DataBind() the drpClient
already has the following properties already set.

drpClient.SelectedItem.Text = "Client Name"
drpClient.SelectedItem.Value = "156"
drpClient.SelectedItem.Selected = True

These are always the last selected client from the drop
down even after the browser is shut.

Has anybody had anything like this before , is the
autopostback on the dropdown updating the cache in
anyway , i'm at my wits end on this.

If anybody can help it would be most appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

Neil Cooper

Guest

I think you want to be putting those values into the session and not the
cache. I think the cache is for the whole application. I would check but my
msdn search feature keeps crashing (reboot time.)

Guest

Yes, I checked and cache is almost the same as the application cache. This
means that the data will shared for all users and expires only when the
application is recycled.