Problems with Charset Encoding

Grimps

Here's my workflow... I've built a CMS and users enter their content through
a WYSIWYG component which is a text area replacement. Then I save that data
to a flat file with an ASP extension (I've used FSO as well as Text Streaming
with Charset UTF-8).

When the page renders, I do a Server.Execute to present this file inside the
design. The problem is that I get all sorts of weird characters. especially
with some spaces, returns and especially on curly quotes. Also... at the top
of the file I get the BOM characters. My pages are also using UTF-8. Has
anyone else seen this? How can I fix it?

Thank you.

Phil Grimpo
Executive Director
Inspirmedia

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?R3JpbXBz?=
Here's my workflow... I've built a CMS and users enter their content
through a WYSIWYG component which is a text area replacement. Then I
save that data to a flat file with an ASP extension (I've used FSO as
well as Text Streaming with Charset UTF-8).

When the page renders, I do a Server.Execute to present this file
inside the design. The problem is that I get all sorts of weird
characters. especially with some spaces, returns and especially on
curly quotes. Also... at the top of the file I get the BOM characters.
My pages are also using UTF-8. Has anyone else seen this? How can I
fix it?

Thank you.

Phil Grimpo
Executive Director
Inspirmedia

Do you have a URL? What is character set is the server sending?

Anthony Jones

Grimps said:
Here's my workflow... I've built a CMS and users enter their content through
a WYSIWYG component which is a text area replacement. Then I save that data
to a flat file with an ASP extension (I've used FSO as well as Text Streaming
with Charset UTF-8).

When the page renders, I do a Server.Execute to present this file inside the
design. The problem is that I get all sorts of weird characters. especially
with some spaces, returns and especially on curly quotes. Also... at the top
of the file I get the BOM characters. My pages are also using UTF-8. Has
anyone else seen this? How can I fix it?

Most likely you've failed to inform the browser that it is getting UTF-8.
You need:-

Response.CharSet = "UTF-8" at the top of your host page.

Phil Grimpo

I tried adding that to the top of my host page and it didn't seem to
work. Take a look at http://www.lutherhaven.com/ Notice the left
side, the BOM ( ) at the top of the file and then the boxes
throughout the left side. Any other ideas? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

-Phil

Phil Grimpo

I've been seeing this more and more on the web. Anyone have any ideas
how to fix this?

Thanks!

-Phil