problems with css on Safari

bikepaws

Hi everyone,

Sorry to ask what is probably a really stupid question, but I'm having
a spot of bother with a website that I'm trying to build as a favour
for a friend. I thought that I would try and do it in xhtml and use css
to position elements - this being the way forward I'm told.

It works fine with IE, but in Safari the central element shoots up to
the top and covers the menu, arg!

It's at http://www.fannydupont.com/beautyjs.html and I'd be super
grateful if anyone can make any suggestions as to where I could look
for clues or what I've done wrong.

Sorry to sound so daft!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Hi everyone,
Hello.

Sorry to ask what is probably a really stupid question, but I'm having
a spot of bother with a website that I'm trying to build as a favour
for a friend. I thought that I would try and do it in xhtml and use css
to position elements - this being the way forward I'm told.

Yes, except you are using Transitional, instead of Strict. Transitional
is for old legacy pages where not all markup can be updated.
It works fine with IE, but in Safari the central element shoots up to
the top and covers the menu, arg!

Probably works in IE because you are in quirks mode.
It's at http://www.fannydupont.com/beautyjs.html and I'd be super
grateful if anyone can make any suggestions as to where I could look
for clues or what I've done wrong.

Switch to HTML 4.01 Strict, instead of XHTML Transitional first. Then
see what happens, before looking at the rest of your markup.
http://w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

Don't forget to validate the page.
Drop Verdana.
Set font sizes in percentages ( 100% ) instead of pixels, which cannot
be resized by your IE visitors.

Your image sizes do not agree with the HTML height and width
assignments. This can cause the images to jump around while loading in
some browsers.
Sorry to sound so daft!

Daft? <g> Hang around and read for a few days.