Problems with DBI and DBD::mysql (on Mac OS X 10.4, Intel)

Martin Kißner

Hello together,

I have installed the modules DBI and DBD::mysql.
When I try to connect to my MySQL database with this command:

perl -e 'use DBI;use DBD::mysql;
DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:databasename","username","password")'

I get the following error:

*** start error message ***
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _mysql_init
Referenced from:
/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.bundle
Expected in: dynamic lookup

dyld: Symbol not found: _mysql_init
Referenced from:
/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.bundle
Expected in: dynamic lookup

zsh: trace trap perl -e
*** end error message ***

This happens on my Intel Mac.
On my old PPC Mac I can use DBD and DBI::mysql without any problems.

I have been searching the web for the error message without success.
I have no idea what this error means and what I could try to get this
working.

Any help will be appreciated.
Greetings from Germany

Martin

Ben Morrow

Quoth Martin =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ki=DFner?= said:
Hello together,

I have installed the modules DBI and DBD::mysql.
When I try to connect to my MySQL database with this command:

perl -e 'use DBI;use DBD::mysql;
DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:databasename","username","password")'

I get the following error:

*** start error message ***
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _mysql_init
Referenced from:
/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.bundle
Expected in: dynamic lookup

dyld: Symbol not found: _mysql_init
Referenced from:
/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.bundle
Expected in: dynamic lookup

You almost certainly don't have the mysql client libraries installed
correctly, or somehow you are picking up a different version from when
you built DBD::mysql.

Ben

Martin Kißner

Ben Morrow wrote :
You almost certainly don't have the mysql client libraries installed
correctly, or somehow you are picking up a different version from when
you built DBD::mysql.

Okay, thank you for this information.
But still I don't know, how I can fix this.
I have read the installation instructions for DBI::mysql but I have to
admit that I do not understand too much of it.

Greetings
Martin