Problems with drag and drop ASP.NET 2.0 applications?

dejavue82

Dear ASP.NET programmers,

I have noticed many asp.net 2.0 programmers mention that web
applications created with the use of Visual Studio wizards and by
draging and droping fom the toolbox are unstable/unmaintainable (or not
enterprise ready). I'm sure I understand this. Isn't the code created
by these wizards exactly the same code that one would have to implement
manually? Shouldn't both ways yield the same (or at least similar
results). Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Jim Light

Flinky Wisty Pomm

Anybody? Please?

Why not, I'll give this one a go - if anyone wants to shoot my
assertions down, all flames are gratefully received.

The drag 'n drool controls for ASP.Net make building quick web sites
really really simple. You get a display component, you hook it up to a
SQL query and It Just Works.

The problem is that mixing UI code with data access code is universally
decried as A Bad Thing. Separating your application into discrete
layers, or chunks of functionality makes maintenance and improving the
code much much easier; take this from someone who has just gone insane
retrofitting a large feature to an existing web app.

Example: Google "GridView Insert" and you'll find a whole bunch of
weird and wonderful workarounds for making a GridView insert data as
well as edit data; most of these involve showing and hiding footers
(what if the footer is in use?) and creating empty rows that never get
shown to the user.

Because I'd got a sensible architecture and was binding my controls
directly to collections which I grabbed from the data layer, I had much
more control over the display and function of my GridView and didn't
have to use such bizarre kludges.

Additionally, the data access methods promoted by the Drag/Drop
technique are very inefficient in comparison with the code that you
could write by hand.

None of this should put you off using the WYSIWYG if you just want to
knock out a simple website, but if you're building anything
complicated, or performance is important to you, write your code by
hand and write it properly.

The problem with It Just Works is that sometimes It Just Doesn't Do
What You Want It To.