Problems with Dynamic Html Table control generation

Al Wilkerson

Hey,

I have a Web Form with a drop down list, textbox, and search button.
When click the search button an SQL server database is queried fordata.
Once I have the data in a dataset I use the dataset to dynamically create a
Html Table control.

I want to display the table on another frame page (target="main") without
the web form controls (i.e. the textbox, search button, and dropdown list).
I just want the table displayed only on the new seperate frame page.

Problem 1 - The HTML Table does not display at all
Problem 2 - The original web form controls are displayed on the new page

When debug the correct data is retrieved from DB and the rows are populated.
But the table does not display.

In the following Code-Behind file example "maxrows" = 1 and "maxcolumns" = 8
------

protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTable t1;
protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlSelect ddlSearch;
protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputText txtSearch;
protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputButton btnSearch;

try
{

sDa = new OleDbDataAdapter(lSql,sConn);
sDa.Fill(ds, "Products");

}
catch(Exception ex)
{
Response.Write("Problem filling DataSet " + ex.Message);
}

try
{

t1 = new HtmlTable();

int maxrows = 0;
int maxcolumns = 0;

maxrows = ds.Tables["Products"].Rows.Count;
maxcolumns = ds.Tables["Products"].Columns.Count;

int row = 0;

for( int i = 0; i < maxrows; i++)
{

HtmlTableRow r = new HtmlTableRow();
row = row + 1;

for( int j = 0; j < maxcolumns; j++)
{
HtmlTableCell c = new HtmlTableCell();

c.Controls.Add(new
LiteralControl(Convert.ToString(ds.Tables["Products"].Rows[j])));
r.Cells.Add(c);
}
t1.Rows.Add(r);

}

t1.Visible = true;

ASPX File
------------

<TABLE id="t1" bgcolor="silver" border="5" align="right" runat="server">
</TABLE>
<form id="Search" method="post" target="main" runat="server">
<SELECT id="ddlSearch" style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 35px; POSITION:
absolute; TOP: 37px" runat="server">
<OPTION value="Title" selected>Title</OPTION>
<OPTION value="Type">Type</OPTION>
<OPTION value="Author">Author</OPTION>
<OPTION value="Edition">Edition</OPTION>
<OPTION value="Copyright">Copyright</OPTION>
</SELECT>
<INPUT id="btnSearch" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 318px; POSITION:
absolute; TOP: 38px" type="button" value="Search" runat="server">
<INPUT id="txtSearch" style="Z-INDEX: 103; LEFT: 130px; POSITION:
absolute; TOP: 37px" type="text" runat="server">

Thanks,

Guest

Hi,

From server side code, you cannot access a page on different frame. Hence,
you cannot show the html table in a different page or frame.

You can have two <div> tags, one with the search details and other you can
use it for inserting the html table. You can set the visibility of first div
off and display only the second div.

In your code,
t1.Visible = true;

after creating the html table, you need to add this to the page or a
control. If you second div id is "resulttable", you can add,

resulttable.Controls.Add(t1);

This will insert the newly created html table in the div.