problems with File and caching

Roedy Green

I have discovered two rather unpleasant things about java.io.File.

If you do a file.getFileLength you get the OLD file length, not the
current length. I notice it in particular when I create a temp file,
delete the old file and rename the temp to the old name.

If you try to point two File objects at the same file, sometimes you
get an error.

Roedy Green

If you do a file.getFileLength you get the OLD file length, not the
current length. I notice it in particular when I create a temp file,
delete the old file and rename the temp to the old name.

Turns out this is not so. Sorry about that. It does not cache old
results.