problems with firefox, frames, and targeted links

millhauser

I built my portfolio with Dreamweaver MX. In the bottom frame, I have
thumbnails of images. When you click on a thumbnail, it is supposed to
load the full size image in a targeted part of the top frame. It
works fine in Explorer and Safari, but not in Firefox.

The address is http://www.justmyname.com/portfolio

If anyone has any suggestions on why it isn't working, I'd appreciate
some help.

Thank you,

John

Kraven

millhauser said:
I built my portfolio with Dreamweaver MX. In the bottom frame, I have
thumbnails of images. When you click on a thumbnail, it is supposed to
load the full size image in a targeted part of the top frame. It
works fine in Explorer and Safari, but not in Firefox.

The address is http://www.justmyname.com/portfolio

If anyone has any suggestions on why it isn't working, I'd appreciate
some help.

Thank you,

John
firefox javascript console says top.topFrame.empty has no value

millhauser

I know. What does that mean? Or, better put, how can I change that so
it will work for Firefox?

millhauser

One of my frames is labeled "top" which mightbe confusing matters, so
perhaps I'll try changing that and see if it works...

Randy Webb

millhauser said:
One of my frames is labeled "top" which mightbe confusing matters, so
perhaps I'll try changing that and see if it works...

One, quote what you are replying to, this is Usenet, not Email.

Second, give your frames a proper reference.

Third, do not name frames, or anything else, with an ID or a Name that
is a reserved word and "top" is a reserved word.

Then, if it still doesn't work, post back.

And read this groups FAQ.

millhauser

One, quote what you are replying to, this is Usenet, not Email.

You got it.
Second, give your frames a proper reference.

Will do.
Third, do not name frames, or anything else, with an ID or a
Name that is a reserved word and "top" is a reserved word.

Now I know.
Then, if it still doesn't work, post back.

Thank you

Randy Webb

millhauser said:
You got it.

Thank you

onclick="parent.frames['topFrame'].images['empty'].src='../images/portfolio/people01.jpg'"

parent.frames....... is what I was referring to when I said "give your
frames a proper reference". top.frameName is an IE-ism that, as you have
found out, doesn't work in other browsers.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

millhauser said:
Now I know.

`top' is _not_ a reserved word in the formal language sense. `_top' could
be called so for its special meaning in HTML `target' attribute values.
`top' is, however, the identifier of a property of Window objects to refer
to to the "upmost" frameset (a Window object as well), so it may be unwise
to reuse it, depending on the structure of the application and the user
agent's DOM it should run on. Internet Explorer is known to implement
names and IDs (i.e. values of HTML `name' and `id' attributes) of elements
as properties of the global and document object. However, since the
so-called DOM Level 0 (proprietary, yet wide-spread DOM implementation
since IE3/NN3) names of frames are implemented as identifiers of
frame-referencing properties of the parent Window object or its `frames'
property, so that could interfere as well.

PointedEars