Problems with fresh install of RubyGems on Ubuntu Linux: No suchfile to load -- rubygems/builder (Lo

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Trevor, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Continuing to work with my RubyGems install issues, I setup a fresh
    installation of Ubuntu Linux to test it out. All the latest Ubuntu
    packages are installed ("hoary") with the available ruby packages
    (ruby1.8-dev, ruby1.8, libruby1.8, libruby1.8-d). I've attempted to
    install RubyGems, but get "No such file to load -- rubygems/builder
    (LoadError)". The full output is listed below. I believe this is
    related to my other problems on a sgi-solaris machine, if I could figure
    out a fix for this than I may be able to fix those as well. Thanks for
    any help or suggestions any one has to offer. This is a very
    frustrating problem that's affecting me in multiple environments and I
    have no idea where to start with it.

    root@tabby:~/rubygems-0.8.4 # ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-23) [i386-linux]
    root@tabby:~/rubygems-0.8.4 # ruby setup.rb
    ---> bin
    <--- bin
    ---> lib
    ---> lib/rubygems
    <--- lib/rubygems
    <--- lib
    ---> bin
    <--- bin
    ---> lib
    ---> lib/rubygems
    <--- lib/rubygems
    <--- lib
    rm -f InstalledFiles
    ---> bin
    mkdir -p /usr/bin/
    install generate_yaml_index.rb /usr/bin/
    install update_rubygems /usr/bin/
    install gem_server /usr/bin/
    install gem /usr/bin/
    <--- bin
    ---> lib
    mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/
    install rubygems.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/
    install ubygems.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/
    ---> lib/rubygems
    mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install timer.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install specification.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install source_index.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install old_format.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install command.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install custom_require.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install installer.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install validator.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install remote_installer.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install config_file.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install gem_runner.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install format.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install open-uri.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install rubygems_version.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install loadpath_manager.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install doc_manager.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install builder.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install cmd_manager.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install package.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install version.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install gem_commands.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    install user_interaction.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems
    <--- lib/rubygems
    <--- lib

    As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed.
    Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a while)...
    ...done.
    No library stubs found.

    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in `require':
    No such file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:58:in `manage_gems'
    from /root/rubygems-0.8.4/./post-install.rb:63:in `install_sources'
    from /root/rubygems-0.8.4/./post-install.rb:74:in `instance_eval'
    from setup.rb:583:in `instance_eval'
    from setup.rb:583:in `try_run_hook'
    from setup.rb:577:in `run_hook'
    from setup.rb:1315:in `exec_task_traverse'
    from setup.rb:1168:in `exec_install'
    from setup.rb:887:in `exec_install'
    from setup.rb:705:in `invoke'
    from setup.rb:674:in `invoke'
    from setup.rb:1352
    root@tabby:~/rubygems-0.8.4 #

    Thanks again,
    Trevor

    Trevor, Jan 11, 2005

  2. Trevor

    Chad Fowler Guest

    Re: Problems with fresh install of RubyGems on Ubuntu Linux: No such file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:13:57 +0900, Trevor <> wrote:

    > install builder.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems

    > /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in `require':
    > No such file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)
    > from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:58:in `manage_gems'

    Hi Trevor!

    I can't imagine why this would happen. From the looks of it, you've
    successfully copied builder.rb to the right place. Would you mind
    hacking pre-install.rb and adding something to print out $:?

    Very weird stuff.

    --

    Chad Fowler
    http://chadfowler.com

    Chad Fowler, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Trevor

    Thursday Guest

    Trevor wrote:
    > Continuing to work with my RubyGems install issues, I setup a fresh
    > installation of Ubuntu Linux to test it out. All the latest Ubuntu
    > packages are installed ("hoary") with the available ruby packages
    > (ruby1.8-dev, ruby1.8, libruby1.8, libruby1.8-d). I've attempted to
    > install RubyGems, but get "No such file to load -- rubygems/builder
    > (LoadError)". The full output is listed below. I believe this is
    > related to my other problems on a sgi-solaris machine, if I could figure
    > out a fix for this than I may be able to fix those as well. Thanks for
    > any help or suggestions any one has to offer. This is a very
    > frustrating problem that's affecting me in multiple environments and I
    > have no idea where to start with it.

    You did not have zlibc installed at the time you compiled/installed
    ruby. This caused ruby to not have zlibc which is required in order to
    install rubygems.

    Solution:

    1. install zlibc (apt-get install zlibc)
    2. recompile/reinstall ruby (zlibc must be installed when you do this)
    3. install rubygems

    Thursday, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Trevor

    Thursday Guest

    Chad Fowler wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:13:57 +0900, Trevor <> wrote:

    >>install builder.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems

    >>/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in `require':
    >>No such file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)
    >> from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:58:in `manage_gems'

    > Hi Trevor!
    >
    > I can't imagine why this would happen. From the looks of it, you've
    > successfully copied builder.rb to the right place. Would you mind
    > hacking pre-install.rb and adding something to print out $:?
    >
    > Very weird stuff.

    I think the rubygems installer should check for the existance of zlibc
    and display a more meaningful error message.

    Better yet, I think ruby should display an error message when zlibc is
    not availbe during installation of ruby 1.8.2+...but allow us to
    override by specifying an explicit option like ./configure
    --without-zlibc. This would prevent confusion with apps like rubygems.

    Other than that, ruby and rubygems are the greatest thing since sliced
    bread!

    Thursday, Jan 12, 2005
  5. Re: Problems with fresh install of RubyGems on Ubuntu Linux: Nosuch file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)

    Thursday <> writes:
    > You did not have zlibc installed at the time you compiled/installed
    > ruby. This caused ruby to not have zlibc which is required in order to
    > install rubygems.
    >
    > Solution:
    >
    > 1. install zlibc (apt-get install zlibc)
    > 2. recompile/reinstall ruby (zlibc must be installed when you do this)
    > 3. install rubygems

    I had the same problem. I followed your instructions, and still get
    the same error ("No such file to load -- rubygems/builder") after
    running 'ruby setup.rb all' as root.

    -=Eric
    -- Blair Houghton.

    Eric Schwartz, Jan 24, 2005
  6. Trevor

    Bill Kelly Guest

    Re: Problems with fresh install of RubyGems on Ubuntu Linux: No such file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)

    Hi,

    From: "Eric Schwartz" <>

    > Thursday <> writes:
    > > You did not have zlibc installed at the time you compiled/installed
    > > ruby. This caused ruby to not have zlibc which is required in order to
    > > install rubygems.
    > >
    > > Solution:
    > >
    > > 1. install zlibc (apt-get install zlibc)
    > > 2. recompile/reinstall ruby (zlibc must be installed when you do this)
    > > 3. install rubygems

    > I had the same problem. I followed your instructions, and still get
    > the same error ("No such file to load -- rubygems/builder") after
    > running 'ruby setup.rb all' as root.

    I had the same problem (even after installing zlibc)...
    With some help on #ruby-lang, it turned out I also needed
    to install zlib1g and/or zlib1g-dev. I installed both,
    (in addition to zlibc), rebuilt ruby, and the rubygems
    install has now succeeded.

    HTH,

    Bill

    Bill Kelly, Jan 29, 2005