problems with IBM jre 1.4.1 and LDAP authentication

Ian R. Govett

I'm using the IBM JRE V1.4.1 and am having a problem authenticating to
the LDAP server using the cwa.authenticate function. I'm launching my
application via webstart on Windows 2000.

My application fails with the message:

javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Cannot instantiate class:
com.ibm.jndi.LDAPCtxFactory. Root exception is
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.ibm.jndi.LDAPCtxFactory

What's very wierd about this problem is that if I turn on the Java
Console for webstart this problem goes away. I'm not sure if this
problem
is in any way due to my first window being a modal JDialog instead of
a JFrame. Perhaps the JDialog needs a parent window (ie. the Java
Console).
But this problem only occurs with the IBM version of the JRE.

I tried using the latest JRE V1.4.2 from the Sun web site, and Sun's
JRE works without any problems. So I suspect a bug in the IBM version
of webstart, or perhaps some other environment variable I need to set.

Has anyone else seen this problem or knows of a solution.

Thanks,

Ian