Problems With Membership Provider Connecting to SQL2K

Walter

I'm having some trouble connecting to a SQL Server 2000 server through the
Website Administration Tool (WAT) when trying to use Membership, but only on
the Security tab.

The server in question is accessed through it's IP address which was used
when I set up the Membership database on it using aspnet_regsql.exe and
logged in as the Admin. Everything worked fine there.

I have my Membership Provider setup in my web.config and when in the WAT, I
can go to the Provider tab, select my Membership Provider, click "Test" and
successfully make a connection.

However, when I click on the Security tab, after a delay I get the error:

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to
SQL Server) "

For my server, remote connections are allowed and Named Pipes and TCP/IP
access setup. My connection string is as follows:

"Data Source=65.65.65.65;Initial Catalog=Membership;Password=mypwd;User
ID=myuid"

Per some info I found, I changed it to:

"Network=DBMSSOCN;Data Source=65.65.65.65,1433;Initial
Catalog=Membership;Password=mypwd;User ID=myuid"

My error message on the security tab then changes to:

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - A connection attempt failed because the
connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or
established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.) "

I should note that I am logging in as the Admin so I have full rights, I
have long been able to connect to this sql server using this connection
string, and I have been able to successfully setup Membership on a local sql
2005 server so I believe that my membership provider is properly set up. The
only difference I see is that this is a remote server and is sql2k, not 2005.

I find it odd that on the Provider tab, the connection works, but fails on
the Security tab.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading my lengthy post!

Walter