Problems with MSIE caching CSS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by JDS, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. JDS

    JDS Guest

    I have a strange problem in that MSIE seems to not load my stylesheet
    until you click the "reload" button or press F5 (or hit CTRL-R).

    Example page:

    http://engineering.jhu.edu/~nuggets/

    It works fine in Gecko-based browsers.

    Does anyone else using MSIE 6 see my problem? Or is it just me? When you
    go to the page the first time it might work... Try clicking any link on
    the page and you will see what happens (i hope).

    What happpens to me is that MSIE just "forgets" the CSS or doesn't load
    the stylesheet or *something* until you then reload the page.

    Thanks!
    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Jul 22, 2005

  2. JDS

    Jedi Fans Guest

    JDS wrote:
    > I have a strange problem in that MSIE seems to not load my stylesheet
    > until you click the "reload" button or press F5 (or hit CTRL-R).
    >
    > Example page:
    >
    > http://engineering.jhu.edu/~nuggets/
    >
    > It works fine in Gecko-based browsers.
    >
    > Does anyone else using MSIE 6 see my problem? Or is it just me? When you
    > go to the page the first time it might work... Try clicking any link on
    > the page and you will see what happens (i hope).
    >
    > What happpens to me is that MSIE just "forgets" the CSS or doesn't load
    > the stylesheet or *something* until you then reload the page.
    >
    > Thanks!

    the title should always be the first entry in the head section
    Jedi Fans, Jul 22, 2005

  3. JDS

    JDS Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:56:33 +0100, Jedi Fans wrote:

    > the title should always be the first entry in the head section

    Thanks, I tried it, but nope. That didn't seem to fix it.

    I doubt that <title> has to be the first thing anyways, unless that is a
    known MSIE bug. There is no requirement to put <title> first in the HTML
    specifications that I know of.

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Jul 22, 2005
  4. JDS

    Jedi Fans Guest

    had heard it somewhere, see http://www.searchengines.com/HTMLtitle.html
    Jedi Fans, Jul 22, 2005
  5. JDS

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Jul 22, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    JDS <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:34:36 +0100, Jedi Fans wrote:
    >
    > > had heard it somewhere, see http://www.searchengines.com/HTMLtitle.html

    > Ah, i see. But that link is only applying this rule to SEO, and not to the
    > caching problem I am having.

    Or someone's interpretation of SEO :)

    > Thanks anyways.

    I had a problem with MSIE on a site I built in the last couple of years
    that was never even replied to in alt.html or ciwas. I diddled it till I
    had no complaints from my customer but probably lost functionality. It
    was an MSIE failure to read my stylesheet on a back-button and regarded
    an unordered-list with CSS blinkenlights used as a menu. It's probably
    not related, but I smelled being there before.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 23, 2005
  7. JDS

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, JDS quothed:

    > I have a strange problem in that MSIE seems to not load my stylesheet
    > until you click the "reload" button or press F5 (or hit CTRL-R).
    >
    > Example page:
    >
    > http://engineering.jhu.edu/~nuggets/
    >
    > It works fine in Gecko-based browsers.
    >
    > Does anyone else using MSIE 6 see my problem? Or is it just me? When you
    > go to the page the first time it might work... Try clicking any link on
    > the page and you will see what happens (i hope).
    >
    > What happpens to me is that MSIE just "forgets" the CSS or doesn't load
    > the stylesheet or *something* until you then reload the page.

    The only thing I see: why do you put a slash in front of the pathname?

    If you have to go up a directory, it's: '../'. Otherwise, a child
    folder is addressed directly without the slash. Sometimes the slash can
    mean 'ET go home' which on a server may be beyond your actual website
    directory.

    Also, I personally don't capitalize my "rel's" and "type's", etc.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jul 23, 2005
  8. JDS

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > JDS <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:34:36 +0100, Jedi Fans wrote:
    >>
    >>> had heard it somewhere, see http://www.searchengines.com/HTMLtitle.html

    >> Ah, i see. But that link is only applying this rule to SEO, and not to the
    >> caching problem I am having.

    > Or someone's interpretation of SEO :)
    >
    >> Thanks anyways.

    > I had a problem with MSIE on a site I built in the last couple of years
    > that was never even replied to in alt.html or ciwas. I diddled it till I
    > had no complaints from my customer but probably lost functionality. It
    > was an MSIE failure to read my stylesheet on a back-button and regarded
    > an unordered-list with CSS blinkenlights used as a menu. It's probably
    > not related, but I smelled being there before.
    >
    > leo

    try giving your stylesheet a title? for example:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
    href="/~nuggets/include/css/website.css" title="Default" />
    Jedi Fans, Jul 24, 2005
  9. In article <42e35e05$>,
    Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot==-]com"> wrote:

    > Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > > I had a problem with MSIE on a site I built in the last couple of years
    > > that was never even replied to in alt.html or ciwas. I diddled it till I
    > > had no complaints from my customer but probably lost functionality. It
    > > was an MSIE failure to read my stylesheet on a back-button and regarded
    > > an unordered-list with CSS blinkenlights used as a menu. It's probably
    > > not related, but I smelled being there before.

    > try giving your stylesheet a title? for example:
    > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
    > href="/~nuggets/include/css/website.css" title="Default" />

    I'll save your suggestion for future reference in case the problem
    occurs again.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 24, 2005
  10. JDS

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <42e35e05$>,
    > Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot==-]com"> wrote:
    >
    >> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    >>> I had a problem with MSIE on a site I built in the last couple of years
    >>> that was never even replied to in alt.html or ciwas. I diddled it till I
    >>> had no complaints from my customer but probably lost functionality. It
    >>> was an MSIE failure to read my stylesheet on a back-button and regarded
    >>> an unordered-list with CSS blinkenlights used as a menu. It's probably
    >>> not related, but I smelled being there before.

    >> try giving your stylesheet a title? for example:
    >> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
    >> href="/~nuggets/include/css/website.css" title="Default" />

    > I'll save your suggestion for future reference in case the problem
    > occurs again.
    >
    > leo

    did it get fixed then? [regardless i do seem to be missing a lot of
    posts :|]
    Jedi Fans, Jul 25, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot==-]com"> wrote:

    > Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > > In article <42e35e05$>,

    > > I'll save your suggestion for future reference in case the problem
    > > occurs again.
    > >
    > > leo
    > >

    > did it get fixed then? [regardless i do seem to be missing a lot of
    > posts :|]

    No, no. I solved the problem to the customer's satisfaction a year or
    two ago. I'd have to redo some CSS and HTML that I don't remember
    changing right now. They'd be unlikely to pay for my sudden brilliance
    in case your solution worked. Status quo.
    But next time...

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 25, 2005
  12. JDS

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot==-]com"> wrote:
    >
    >> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    >>> In article <42e35e05$>,

    >>> I'll save your suggestion for future reference in case the problem
    >>> occurs again.
    >>>
    >>> leo
    >>>

    >> did it get fixed then? [regardless i do seem to be missing a lot of
    >> posts :|]

    > No, no. I solved the problem to the customer's satisfaction a year or
    > two ago. I'd have to redo some CSS and HTML that I don't remember
    > changing right now. They'd be unlikely to pay for my sudden brilliance
    > in case your solution worked. Status quo.
    > But next time...
    >
    > leo

    kk
    Jedi Fans, Jul 25, 2005
  13. JDS

    JDS Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:10:11 -0600, Neredbojias wrote:

    > The only thing I see: why do you put a slash in front of the pathname?

    The absolute path name? Is that what you mean?

    It is actually in response to my templating system (on the backend) and
    results in more reliable and portable pages for me than using relative
    URLs. I could go into more detail if you like, but it is a bit OT.

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Jul 25, 2005
  14. JDS

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Jul 25, 2005
  15. JDS

    Rincewind Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:38:21 -0400, JDS wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:23:01 +0100, Jedi Fans wrote:
    >
    >> try giving your stylesheet a title? for example:

    > Didn't work. Thanks.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Incidentally, is anyone else seeing this problem as described in MSIE 6?
    >
    > thanks!

    It looks almost the same to me the only differnce I see, is that the text
    size is larger in the IE version,
    Rincewind, Jul 25, 2005
  16. JDS

    JDS Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:17:07 +0000, Rincewind wrote:

    > It looks almost the same to me the only differnce I see, is that the text
    > size is larger in the IE version,

    Well, the actual problem was that the CSS file was not getting loaded at
    all when clicking on links inside the pages, only on a forced reload (F5).

    I've fixed the problem but I had to include the CSS in-line to do it. A
    sucky fix, if you ask me.

    thanks for the help, usenet denizens.

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Jul 25, 2005
  17. JDS

    Jedi Fans Guest

    JDS wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:10:11 -0600, Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> The only thing I see: why do you put a slash in front of the pathname?

    > The absolute path name? Is that what you mean?
    >
    > It is actually in response to my templating system (on the backend) and
    > results in more reliable and portable pages for me than using relative
    > URLs. I could go into more detail if you like, but it is a bit OT.

    in addition to this: /folder/file.css means that it doesnt matter which
    folder the document you are viewing is on, it will always go to the root
    [aka the domain/subdomain] and work its way back up the directory
    structure from there
    Jedi Fans, Jul 25, 2005
  18. JDS

    Rincewind Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:29:53 -0400, JDS wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:17:07 +0000, Rincewind wrote:
    >
    >> It looks almost the same to me the only differnce I see, is that the text
    >> size is larger in the IE version,

    > Well, the actual problem was that the CSS file was not getting loaded at
    > all when clicking on links inside the pages, only on a forced reload (F5).
    >
    > I've fixed the problem but I had to include the CSS in-line to do it. A
    > sucky fix, if you ask me.
    >
    > thanks for the help, usenet denizens.

    are you sure the problem exists :))
    when I looked at the page before, either by using the F5 button or the back
    button in the browser there was no difference the page renders nicely.

    Exactly the same as it does now.

    BTW why have you Commented the css details as well as adding them in a
    style tag.
    Rincewind, Jul 25, 2005
  19. JDS

    JDS Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:37:59 +0000, Rincewind wrote:

    > are you sure the problem exists :))
    > when I looked at the page before, either by using the F5 button or the back
    > button in the browser there was no difference the page renders nicely.
    >
    > Exactly the same as it does now.
    >
    > BTW why have you Commented the css details as well as adding them in a
    > style tag.

    Well, as far as the problem existing, I see it on two different computers.
    But no one else has said they are seeing it -- maybe I'm going batty.

    The comments are there so I can put the thing back the way it was if I
    decode to later. Nothing more.

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Jul 25, 2005
  20. JDS

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot==-]
    com"> quothed:

    > in addition to this: /folder/file.css means that it doesnt matter which
    > folder the document you are viewing is on, it will always go to the root
    > [aka the domain/subdomain] and work its way back up the directory
    > structure from there

    That was my point. The root of a "website" is not always the "main"
    website directory.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jul 26, 2005