Problems with Oracle 7.3.4 and .NEt

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris Holliday, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. I am simply trying to query an Oracle 7.3.4 database and nothing seems to be
    working. This is the most basic that seems as though it should work:

    Dim con As OracleConnection = New OracleConnection("User
    Id=someID;Password=somePW;Data Source=oramia.world;")

    con.Open()

    Dim myCMD As New OracleCommand()

    myCMD.Connection = con

    myCMD.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM EN_SHIP_EXT WHERE EN_CUST_KEY = 1837"

    myCMD.CommandType = CommandType.Text

    Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()

    Dim dr As OracleDataAdapter = New OracleDataAdapter(myCMD)

    dr.Fill(ds)

    Return ds

    Unfortunately, all I can seem to return is the following:

    ORA-01002: fetch out of sequence

    Anyone?

    thanks,

    c.
    Chris Holliday, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Chris Holliday

    Natty Gur Guest

    The Oracle documentation says this happens only (or at least mainly) in
    3-GL programs that use OCI to interact with Oracle and only if they
    attempt to "fetch" either before opening a cursor or after closing it.

    do you use ODP ?

    Natty Gur, CTO
    Dao2Com Ltd.
    28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
    Israel , 51114

    Phone Numbers:
    Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
    Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

    Know the overall picture

    Natty Gur, Jul 30, 2003

  3. The problem was the Client. 9.2 does not work with a 7.3.x database. The
    8.1.7 client was installed in the same home as the 9.2 and that was doomed.
    I reinstalled 8.1 in a new home, set it as the default home and rebooted
    about 6 times, now it works as expected.

    Thanks,

    Chris

    "Chris Holliday" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Natty,
    >
    > Thank you for your response. I have tried ODP and find it more problematic
    > than Microsoft's OLE driver.
    >
    > Typical Oracle documentation. Even though you finally found the topic you
    > were searching for, after reading it, you were better off without it. At
    > this point, I have to think that this is a problem with the Oracle Client

    on

    Chris Holliday, Jul 30, 2003