Problems with Oracle OCI library - help please

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by RTJ, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. RTJ

    RTJ Guest

    I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library. I was unable to properly
    link
    OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is unable to
    link
    native Windows library.
    Oracle provides OCI dll (named oci.dll) and additionally OCI stub library
    (oci.lib)
    for Microsoft MSVC compiler. I have attempted to link dora with both OCI dll
    and
    OCI lib. Link with OCI lib resulted with many strange linker errors
    (probably gcc does not recognize the "lib" file format).
    Link with OCI dll i have performed in two ways:
    -- using options: -L$(ORACLE_HOME)/bin -loci
    - gcc produced error message that library is not found
    -- providing full library pathname in command line:
    $(ORACLE_HOME)/bin/oci.dll
    - gcc produced error messages about unresolved symbols, although these
    symbols are located in this library.

    If somebody did successfully link any native Windows library with any program
    written for SFU, please inform me how to link such library properly.

    On the other hand, I couldn't bring to work the second compiler provided with
    SFU
    -- the Microsoft compiler. Maybe somebody was able to compile
    a C++ source file or create a shared library using it ?
    Which compiler are you using ?

    --
    Regards
    Romek
    RTJ, Dec 14, 2004

  2. RTJ

    Flash Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:37:57 +0100
    "RTJ" <> wrote:

    > I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library.

    Not part of the C language and therefor off topic here.

    > I was unable to properly link
    > OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is
    > unable to link native Windows library.

    How to drive the tools is implementation specific and off topic here.

    > Oracle provides OCI dll (named oci.dll) and additionally OCI stub
    > library
    > (oci.lib)

    ..dll and .lib files are not part of the C language and therefor off
    topic here.

    > for Microsoft MSVC compiler. I have attempted to link dora with both

    Interoperability of different tool chains is highly implementation
    specific and therefor off topic here.

    <snip>

    > Which compiler are you using ?

    Irrelevant to most discussions here.

    I suggest asking in a Windows, gcc or Oracle group since nothing you are
    asking about is on topic for this group.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Living in interesting times.
    Flash Gordon, Dec 14, 2004

  3. On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:37:57 +0100, RTJ wrote:

    > I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library. I was unable to properly
    > link
    > OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is unable to
    > link
    > native Windows library.

    comp.lang.c is a newsgroup for discussing the standard C programming
    language. Your problem isn't about standard C, rather it is about a highly
    platform and compiler specific link issue. Try a newsgroup better
    targetted to your problem, maybe something in the gnu.gcc.* or
    comp.databases.oracle.* hierarchies.

    Lawrence
    Lawrence Kirby, Dec 14, 2004
  4. RTJ

    CBFalconer Guest

    RTJ wrote:

    > I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library. I was unable
    > to properly link OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler
    > provided with SFU is unable to link native Windows library.
    > Oracle provides OCI dll (named oci.dll) and additionally OCI stub
    > library (oci.lib) for Microsoft MSVC compiler. I have attempted to

    .... snip ...

    To make this even remotely on-topic here you will have to publish
    the full source and headers for the OCI library and the Windows
    library. Make sure they don't exceed a few hundred lines, properly
    indented with spaces, not tabs.

    This newsgroup deals with the portable C language as described in
    the ISO standards, and not with non-standardized add-ons. For
    system specific things, find a newsgroup dealing with that system.

    --
    Chuck F () ()
    CBFalconer, Dec 14, 2004
  5. RTJ

    RTJ Guest

    "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message

    > To make this even remotely on-topic here you will have to publish
    > the full source and headers for the OCI library and the Windows
    > library. Make sure they don't exceed a few hundred lines, properly
    > indented with spaces, not tabs.

    ;-)
    ok, ok, I understood
    sorry for off topic