Problems with Oracle OCI library - help please

RTJ

I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library. I was unable to properly
link
OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is unable to
link
native Windows library.
Oracle provides OCI dll (named oci.dll) and additionally OCI stub library
(oci.lib)
for Microsoft MSVC compiler. I have attempted to link dora with both OCI dll
and
OCI lib. Link with OCI lib resulted with many strange linker errors
(probably gcc does not recognize the "lib" file format).
Link with OCI dll i have performed in two ways:
-- using options: -L$(ORACLE_HOME)/bin -loci
- gcc produced error message that library is not found
-- providing full library pathname in command line:
$(ORACLE_HOME)/bin/oci.dll
- gcc produced error messages about unresolved symbols, although these
symbols are located in this library.

If somebody did successfully link any native Windows library with any program
written for SFU, please inform me how to link such library properly.

On the other hand, I couldn't bring to work the second compiler provided with
SFU
-- the Microsoft compiler. Maybe somebody was able to compile
a C++ source file or create a shared library using it ?
Which compiler are you using ?

Flash Gordon

I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library.

Not part of the C language and therefor off topic here.
I was unable to properly link
OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is
unable to link native Windows library.

How to drive the tools is implementation specific and off topic here.
Oracle provides OCI dll (named oci.dll) and additionally OCI stub
library
(oci.lib)

..dll and .lib files are not part of the C language and therefor off
topic here.
for Microsoft MSVC compiler. I have attempted to link dora with both

Interoperability of different tool chains is highly implementation
specific and therefor off topic here.

Which compiler are you using ?

Irrelevant to most discussions here.

I suggest asking in a Windows, gcc or Oracle group since nothing you are
asking about is on topic for this group.

Lawrence Kirby

I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library. I was unable to properly
link
OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is unable to
link
native Windows library.

comp.lang.c is a newsgroup for discussing the standard C programming
language. Your problem isn't about standard C, rather it is about a highly
platform and compiler specific link issue. Try a newsgroup better
targetted to your problem, maybe something in the gnu.gcc.* or
comp.databases.oracle.* hierarchies.

Lawrence

CBFalconer

RTJ said:
I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library. I was unable
to properly link OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler
provided with SFU is unable to link native Windows library.
Oracle provides OCI dll (named oci.dll) and additionally OCI stub
library (oci.lib) for Microsoft MSVC compiler. I have attempted to
.... snip ...

To make this even remotely on-topic here you will have to publish
the full source and headers for the OCI library and the Windows
library. Make sure they don't exceed a few hundred lines, properly
indented with spaces, not tabs.

This newsgroup deals with the portable C language as described in
the ISO standards, and not with non-standardized add-ons. For
system specific things, find a newsgroup dealing with that system.

RTJ

CBFalconer said:
To make this even remotely on-topic here you will have to publish
the full source and headers for the OCI library and the Windows
library. Make sure they don't exceed a few hundred lines, properly
indented with spaces, not tabs.

;-)
ok, ok, I understood
sorry for off topic