Problems with pygtk/gtk.glade

Dave Walker

I've just setup a new box with Slackware 10, and am running into
problems with simple programs that worked just fine on my old slak box
(and still do). The only difference I can see between the two boxes is
that the new one is running python 2.3.4, and the old is 2.3.3.

The code is a barely modified version of one of the tutorials, and the
errors I get are:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./oldmp3.py", line 78, in ?
app=appgui()
File "./oldmp3.py", line 15, in __init__
self.wTree=gtk.glade.XML (gladefile,windowname)
TypeError: typedict must be a mapping

And, as a matter of fact, when I try and run MathFlash from the tutorial
in the latest Linux Journal, I get similar errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 165, in ?
main(sys.argv)
File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 158, in main
w = MathFlash()
File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 34, in __init__
self.init()
File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 75, in init
GladeWindow.__init__(self, filename, top_window, widget_list, handlers)
File "/root/bin/GladeWindow.py", line 77, in __init__
self.xml = gtk.glade.XML(fname)
TypeError: typedict must be a mapping

Has something changed in the latest version of python, or is there
something else in my setup that I've missed that is causing these errors?

I've searched google/google groups in vain...

Thanks,

Haim Ashkenazi

Try using the latest version of pygtk [1] - 2.3.93, I guess
[1] http://www.pygtk.org
I had the same problems with 2.3.93. I downloaded 2.3.94 (from
somewhere in this list) and it solved it. I'm not sure if it's stable
though, I just needed it to test some application.

Bye