Problems with pygtk/gtk.glade

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Walker, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. Dave Walker

    Dave Walker Guest

    I've just setup a new box with Slackware 10, and am running into
    problems with simple programs that worked just fine on my old slak box
    (and still do). The only difference I can see between the two boxes is
    that the new one is running python 2.3.4, and the old is 2.3.3.

    The code is a barely modified version of one of the tutorials, and the
    errors I get are:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./oldmp3.py", line 78, in ?
    app=appgui()
    File "./oldmp3.py", line 15, in __init__
    self.wTree=gtk.glade.XML (gladefile,windowname)
    TypeError: typedict must be a mapping

    And, as a matter of fact, when I try and run MathFlash from the tutorial
    in the latest Linux Journal, I get similar errors:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 165, in ?
    main(sys.argv)
    File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 158, in main
    w = MathFlash()
    File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 34, in __init__
    self.init()
    File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 75, in init
    GladeWindow.__init__(self, filename, top_window, widget_list, handlers)
    File "/root/bin/GladeWindow.py", line 77, in __init__
    self.xml = gtk.glade.XML(fname)
    TypeError: typedict must be a mapping

    Has something changed in the latest version of python, or is there
    something else in my setup that I've missed that is causing these errors?

    I've searched google/google groups in vain...

    Thanks,
    Dave Walker, Jul 22, 2004

  2. On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:17:43 -0700, Sridhar R wrote:

    > Try using the latest version of pygtk [1] - 2.3.93, I guess
    > [1] http://www.pygtk.org

    I had the same problems with 2.3.93. I downloaded 2.3.94 (from
    somewhere in this list) and it solved it. I'm not sure if it's stable
    though, I just needed it to test some application.

    Bye
    --
    Haim
    Haim Ashkenazi, Jul 22, 2004