Problems with Python 2.5 installer.

Discussion in 'Python' started by paw, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. paw

    paw Guest

    I have ran the MSI installer for Python 2.5 several times attempting to
    install to C:
    Python, however all of the files are placed in C:\ . The installer is
    told to only install files for me, beyond that I have only chosen the
    defaults.

    If I copy the files after installation, then uninstall Python, I can
    still use the application. However I am unable to install py2exe since
    it does not see Python in the registry, py2exe refuses to install when
    the Python files are in C:\ .

    The system in am installing on is WinXP SP 2 and I have enough admin
    rights on the machine to install software.

    Google turned up nothing useful that I could find, is anyone else
    seeing this problem?

    Thanks,

    Wayne

    paw, Sep 25, 2006

  2. paw schrieb:
    > Google turned up nothing useful that I could find, is anyone else
    > seeing this problem?

    I haven't heard of it before. Please run the file with

    msiexec /i python-2.5.msi /l*v python.log

    and post the resulting python.log in a bug report at
    sf.net/projects/python.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Sep 25, 2006

  3. paw

    John Machin Guest

    paw wrote:
    > I have ran the MSI installer for Python 2.5 several times attempting to
    > install to C:
    > Python, however all of the files are placed in C:\ . The installer is
    > told to only install files for me, beyond that I have only chosen the
    > defaults.

    What do you mean by "install to C: <newline> Python"? Can you tell us
    (unambiguously, on one line) what directory you chose? Is there any
    good reason why you didn't take the default, which is
    C:\Python25
    ?

    > If I copy the files after installation, then uninstall Python, I can
    > still use the application. However I am unable to install py2exe since
    > it does not see Python in the registry, py2exe refuses to install when
    > the Python files are in C:\ .
    >
    > The system in am installing on is WinXP SP 2 and I have enough admin
    > rights on the machine to install software.
    >
    > Google turned up nothing useful that I could find, is anyone else
    > seeing this problem?

    There's been no mention that I've noticed.

    Cheers,
    John

    John Machin, Sep 25, 2006
  4. paw

    paw Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > paw wrote:
    > > I have ran the MSI installer for Python 2.5 several times attempting to
    > > install to C:
    > > Python, however all of the files are placed in C:\ . The installer is
    > > told to only install files for me, beyond that I have only chosen the
    > > defaults.

    > What do you mean by "install to C: <newline> Python"? Can you tell us
    > (unambiguously, on one line) what directory you chose? Is there any
    > good reason why you didn't take the default, which is
    > C:\Python25
    > ?

    The <newline> should have been \ , the keyboard I am using sucks and
    places the backslash below Enter vs. above like I am used to. I just
    didn't catch that when posting.

    I really don't know why I always change the directory, I've just always
    installed Python on MS Windows into C:\Python. No practical reason, I
    do the same with other programs.

    > > Google turned up nothing useful that I could find, is anyone else
    > > seeing this problem?

    > There's been no mention that I've noticed.

    I'm thinking this is a local issue. I came in today and used the same
    MSI installer as before and there were no problems.

    I'm looking through the local logs to see if there has been any change
    on this system in the past day or two right now.

    Wayne

    paw, Sep 29, 2006
  5. paw

    John Machin Guest

    Matthew Warren wrote:
> [...]

    Are you installing it as a "normal" user or as an Administrator? I have
    occasionally had problems (not when installing Python) as a "normal"
    user not being allowed to create a folder at the C:\ level.

    I'd suggest this;
    (1) log on as as administrator (i.e. with full rights)
    (2) do an "all users" installation
    (3) You haven't come up with a good reason for doing otherwise, so read
    my lips: *** use the default installation folder C:\Python25 *** you'll
    be happy you did, when Python 2.6 comes out and you want to have both
    installed.

    HTH,
    John

    John Machin, Sep 29, 2006
  6. paw

    paw Guest

    > > Could this happen if c:\python does not exists and creating it fails for
    > > some reason, or if permissions are incorrect?

    > Are you installing it as a "normal" user or as an Administrator? I have
    > occasionally had problems (not when installing Python) as a "normal"
    > user not being allowed to create a folder at the C:\ level.
    >
    > I'd suggest this;
    > (1) log on as as administrator (i.e. with full rights)
    > (2) do an "all users" installation
    > (3) You haven't come up with a good reason for doing otherwise, so read
    > my lips: *** use the default installation folder C:\Python25 *** you'll
    > be happy you did, when Python 2.6 comes out and you want to have both
    > installed.

    It turns out the domain admin took away my local admin rights
    mistakenly. Once I got those back everything worked fine.

    The only 'logic' for my not installing to a directory with the version
    is that I don't keep more than one version of Python on my system at
    any given time. When the new version comes out and is stable I remove
    the old one, this forces me to check any programs against the latest
    version.

    Thanks for all of the help,

    Wayne

    paw, Oct 13, 2006