    create the tilde files that are missing, mistakenly believing they are
    valid tasks or files?
    Charles Comstock

    Charles Comstock, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Charles Comstock

    Jim Weirich Guest

    Charles Comstock wrote:
    > How come if a project has a dependency of task clean, which kills all
    > the tilde files, later tasks in the dependency list will still try and
    > create the tilde files that are missing, mistakenly believing they are
    > valid tasks or files?
    > Charles Comstock

    If you have tasks that create tilde files (i.e. file names ending in ~),
    then rake will attempt to create these files when the appropriate task
    is triggered. It does not matter if these files were deleted earlier by
    an unrelated task (such as :clean).

    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem. Do you have a short Rakefile
    example?

    --
    -- Jim Weirich http://onestepback.org

    Jim Weirich, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Jim Weirich wrote:

    > Charles Comstock wrote:
    >
    >> How come if a project has a dependency of task clean, which kills all
    >> the tilde files, later tasks in the dependency list will still try and
    >> create the tilde files that are missing, mistakenly believing they are
    >> valid tasks or files?
    >> Charles Comstock

    > If you have tasks that create tilde files (i.e. file names ending in ~),
    > then rake will attempt to create these files when the appropriate task
    > is triggered. It does not matter if these files were deleted earlier by
    > an unrelated task (such as :clean).
    >
    > Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem. Do you have a short Rakefile
    > example?

    No task creates ~ files in my rakefile, however, if my editor leaves ~
    backup files strewn about the directory, rake attempts to make automatic
    tasks to recreate or process these ~ files.

    Charles Comstock

    Charles Comstock, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Charles Comstock

    Jim Weirich Guest

    Charles Comstock wrote:
    > No task creates ~ files in my rakefile, however, if my editor leaves ~
    > backup files strewn about the directory, rake attempts to make automatic
    > tasks to recreate or process these ~ files.

    Can I see an example rakefile that does this?

    --
    -- Jim Weirich http://onestepback.org

    Jim Weirich, Jun 19, 2004
  5. Charles Comstock

    Jim Weirich Guest

    Jim Weirich wrote:
    > Charles Comstock wrote:
    >
    >> No task creates ~ files in my rakefile, however, if my editor leaves ~
    >> backup files strewn about the directory, rake attempts to make
    >> automatic tasks to recreate or process these ~ files.

    > Can I see an example rakefile that does this?

    Just a quick update in case anyone is interested. Charles sent me his
    Rakefile. It was using Dir.glob('**/*') to build a list of files to be
    put into a package. The glob runs before the clean task executes, so
    all the tilde files in the directory were included in the packaging
    list. Then the clean task ran deleting all the tilde files. Finally
    the package task ran, and it wanted to rebuild the tilde files (because
    they were in the package list).

    The solution was to exclude the tilde files from the package list. They
    could be explicitly removed, or use a Rake::FileList object to build
    the package list. FileLists are smart enough to deal with tilde files
    and other common temporary files.

    --
    -- Jim Weirich http://onestepback.org

    Jim Weirich, Jun 20, 2004