Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries

Stephen Woolhead

Hi all, I have built a library of ASCX UserControls (as described here
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/28/423888.aspx ) but when I
use it in a site I get these warnings for every control I import

'ASP.controls_documents_addupdated_ascx.Profile' hides inherited member
'AddUpdated.Profile'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended.

'ASP.controls_documents_addupdated_ascx.ApplicationInstance' hides
inherited member 'AddUpdated.ApplicationInstance'. Use the new keyword if
hiding was intended.

Does anyone know how to get rid of these problems?

Thanks

Stephen.

Brock Allen

The error tells you the answer :)

"Use the new keyword if hiding was intended"

So change:

class Foo
{
public ProfileCommon Profile;
}

to:

class Foo
{
public new ProfileCommon Profile;

Stephen Woolhead

Err yes, but the code in question is being generated by the ASP.Net
compiler, I have no access to it! The error in full is (from a different
project)

Warning 1 'ASP.controls_test_mycontrol_ascx.Profile' hides inherited member
'MyControl.Profile'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended.
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\mainsite\76bd3d76\df82c897\App_Web_klnuovql.0.cs

At no point have I declared a property called Profile!

For example see this project http://www.perfectphase.com/store/hidding.zip

Stephen.

Brock Allen

Do you own the code for MyControl? If so, then what is the Profile property?
If you don't own the code for it, then I'd not worry too much about this
unless the semantics of MyControl.Profile is different than that of the new
ASP.NET Profile feature.

Stephen Woolhead

Both the new and hidden definitions are created by the ascx compiler. I
could just ignore the warnings but even for the small project I'm working on
I have over one hundred warnings already, just seems a bit of a mess for
something that worked in 2003 with out issue.

Stephen.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Stephen,

I also think this is a control or project specific problem since based on
my local test with reusing some precompiled user controls, there is no such
warning in the new project. If possible, would you try building a simple
project and test with some simplified usercontrols to reproduce this
behavior? There must have some further classes or properties references in
those usercontrols which cause this warning...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Stephen Woolhead" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:14:40 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Both the new and hidden definitions are created by the ascx compiler. I
| could just ignore the warnings but even for the small project I'm working
on
| I have over one hundred warnings already, just seems a bit of a mess for
| something that worked in 2003 with out issue.
|
| Stephen.
|

| | > Do you own the code for MyControl? If so, then what is the Profile
| > property? If you don't own the code for it, then I'd not worry too much
| > about this unless the semantics of MyControl.Profile is different than
| > that of the new ASP.NET Profile feature.
| >
| > -Brock
| > DevelopMentor
| > http://staff.develop.com/ballen
| >
| >> Err yes, but the code in question is being generated by the ASP.Net
| >> compiler, I have no access to it! The error in full is (from a
| >> different project)
| >>
| >> Warning 1 'ASP.controls_test_mycontrol_ascx.Profile' hides inherited
| >> member 'MyControl.Profile'. Use the new keyword if hiding was
| >> intended. c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary
| >> ASP.NET Files\mainsite\76bd3d76\df82c897\App_Web_klnuovql.0.cs
| >>
| >> At no point have I declared a property called Profile!
| >>
| >> For example see this project
| >> http://www.perfectphase.com/store/hidding.zip
| >>
| >> Stephen.

Stephen Woolhead

This project shows the warnings.

The warnings are there, and I have now been told that the warnings where
there (at least the ApplicationInstance anyway) in 2003, just that you never
got to see the output of the compiler.

Stephen.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Stephen,

After some further research, I've got the actual reason of the two
properites "Profile" and "ApplicationInstance". They're two properties
which related to ASP.NET web pages and usercontrol's compilation model.
Since the PublishSite generated assemblies are the same as those generated
by asp.net runtime (under temporarly folder...), those page and
usercontrol's concrete classes will have some additional properties (which
we doesn't define in our codebehind ...) . For example:

the "Profile" Property is used to access the default Profile Provider for
this application, and "ApplicationInstance" is used for accesssing the
current Request's associated ApplicationInstance object...

And as for the warning, it is because when the first time our reusable page
or usercontrol is added into another website project, and when use "build"
menu to build the website, VS.NET IDE will also try to generate another
page class which inherit from that page/usercontrol's precompiled assembly
(like App_Web_u02dnptq.dll), and since this class will also define a
"Profile or ApplicationInstance" property, we'll get that warning.....(some
what like a duplicated derived class...)

In addition, I think we can just ignore this warning, because when we
publish our MainSite (which reuse those pages or controls), the precompiled
assemblies won't really generate a duplicated derived class, still
reference the orginally generated precompiled assembly. I've performed some
tests on myside to verify this.

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Stephen Woolhead" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:31:25 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|

| > This project shows the warnings.
| >

| Opps, missed out the link...
|
| http://www.perfectphase.com/store/hidding.zip
|
| Stephen.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Stephen,

How are you doing on this issue, does my last reply helps you understand
this a little further? If there're anything else we can help, please feel
free to post here. Thanks,

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:14:39 GMT
| Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Hi Stephen,
|
| After some further research, I've got the actual reason of the two
| properites "Profile" and "ApplicationInstance". They're two properties
| which related to ASP.NET web pages and usercontrol's compilation model.
| Since the PublishSite generated assemblies are the same as those
generated
| by asp.net runtime (under temporarly folder...), those page and
| usercontrol's concrete classes will have some additional properties
(which
| we doesn't define in our codebehind ...) . For example:
|
| the "Profile" Property is used to access the default Profile Provider for
| this application, and "ApplicationInstance" is used for accesssing the
| current Request's associated ApplicationInstance object...
|
| And as for the warning, it is because when the first time our reusable
page
| or usercontrol is added into another website project, and when use
"build"
| menu to build the website, VS.NET IDE will also try to generate another
| page class which inherit from that page/usercontrol's precompiled
assembly
| (like App_Web_u02dnptq.dll), and since this class will also define a
| "Profile or ApplicationInstance" property, we'll get that
warning.....(some
| what like a duplicated derived class...)
|
| In addition, I think we can just ignore this warning, because when we
| publish our MainSite (which reuse those pages or controls), the
precompiled
| assemblies won't really generate a duplicated derived class, still
| reference the orginally generated precompiled assembly. I've performed
some
| tests on myside to verify this.
|
| Hope helps. Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "Stephen Woolhead" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| | Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:31:25 -0000
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| |

| | > This project shows the warnings.

| |
| | Opps, missed out the link...
| |
| | http://www.perfectphase.com/store/hidding.zip
| |
| | Stephen.
| |
| |
| |

Stephen Woolhead

I understand what's happing and why. It isn't causing me a problem, my
project seems to be working.

My problem with this is that it is a messy solution, now that I have
converted all my control libraries I have hundreds of warnings that I'll
never be able to get rid off that are obscuring other warnings that may be
of use to me.

Stephen

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

page
| or usercontrol is added into another website project, and when use
"build"
| menu to build the website, VS.NET IDE will also try to generate another
| page class which inherit from that page/usercontrol's precompiled
assembly
| (like App_Web_u02dnptq.dll), and since this class will also define a
| "Profile or ApplicationInstance" property, we'll get that
warning.....(some
| what like a duplicated derived class...)
|
| In addition, I think we can just ignore this warning, because when we
| publish our MainSite (which reuse those pages or controls), the
precompiled
| assemblies won't really generate a duplicated derived class, still
| reference the orginally generated precompiled assembly. I've performed

| |
| | http://www.perfectphase.com/store/hidding.zip
| |
| | Stephen.
| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your further followup.

Yes, I can see that when the imported precompiled controls' count increase,
the warnings will become a pain. However, this is somewhat the limitation
of such programming model. Since the new ASP.NET 2.0's precompiled model
provide the functionality to let dynamic page class precompiled, and let us
reuse existing compiled pages and usercontrols conveniently, but it'll also
cause some negative behaviors. Sometimes it's hard to make it complete
perfect.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Stephen Woolhead" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:39:33 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| I understand what's happing and why. It isn't causing me a problem, my
| project seems to be working.
|
| My problem with this is that it is a messy solution, now that I have
| converted all my control libraries I have hundreds of warnings that I'll
| never be able to get rid off that are obscuring other warnings that may
be
| of use to me.
|
| Stephen
|
| | > Hi Stephen,
| >
| > How are you doing on this issue, does my last reply helps you understand
| > this a little further? If there're anything else we can help, please
feel
| > free to post here. Thanks,
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:14:39 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > |
| > | Hi Stephen,
| > |
| > | After some further research, I've got the actual reason of the two
| > | properites "Profile" and "ApplicationInstance". They're two properties
| > | which related to ASP.NET web pages and usercontrol's compilation
model.
| > | Since the PublishSite generated assemblies are the same as those
| > generated
| > | by asp.net runtime (under temporarly folder...), those page and
| > | usercontrol's concrete classes will have some additional properties
| > (which
| > | we doesn't define in our codebehind ...) . For example:
| > |
| > | the "Profile" Property is used to access the default Profile Provider
| > for
| > | this application, and "ApplicationInstance" is used for accesssing the
| > | current Request's associated ApplicationInstance object...
| > |
| > | And as for the warning, it is because when the first time our reusable
| > page
| > | or usercontrol is added into another website project, and when use
| > "build"
| > | menu to build the website, VS.NET IDE will also try to generate
another
| > | page class which inherit from that page/usercontrol's precompiled
| > assembly
| > | (like App_Web_u02dnptq.dll), and since this class will also define a
| > | "Profile or ApplicationInstance" property, we'll get that
| > warning.....(some
| > | what like a duplicated derived class...)
| > |
| > | In addition, I think we can just ignore this warning, because when we
| > | publish our MainSite (which reuse those pages or controls), the
| > precompiled
| > | assemblies won't really generate a duplicated derived class, still
| > | reference the orginally generated precompiled assembly. I've performed
| > some
| > | tests on myside to verify this.
| > |
| > | Hope helps. Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
| > | |
| > | |

| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

Stephen Woolhead

I have been wondering if there is a reason these two methods are implimented
on the dynamic page class instead of in the base UserControl class?

Stephen.

Steven Cheng said:
Thanks for your further followup.

Yes, I can see that when the imported precompiled controls' count
increase,
the warnings will become a pain. However, this is somewhat the limitation
of such programming model. Since the new ASP.NET 2.0's precompiled model
provide the functionality to let dynamic page class precompiled, and let
us
reuse existing compiled pages and usercontrols conveniently, but it'll
also
cause some negative behaviors. Sometimes it's hard to make it complete
perfect.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Stephen Woolhead" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:39:33 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| I understand what's happing and why. It isn't causing me a problem, my
| project seems to be working.
|
| My problem with this is that it is a messy solution, now that I have
| converted all my control libraries I have hundreds of warnings that I'll
| never be able to get rid off that are obscuring other warnings that may
be
| of use to me.
|
| Stephen
|
| | > Hi Stephen,
| >
| > How are you doing on this issue, does my last reply helps you
understand
| > this a little further? If there're anything else we can help, please
feel
| > free to post here. Thanks,
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:14:39 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > |
| > | Hi Stephen,
| > |
| > | After some further research, I've got the actual reason of the two
| > | properites "Profile" and "ApplicationInstance". They're two
properties
| > | which related to ASP.NET web pages and usercontrol's compilation
model.
| > | Since the PublishSite generated assemblies are the same as those
| > generated
| > | by asp.net runtime (under temporarly folder...), those page and
| > | usercontrol's concrete classes will have some additional properties
| > (which
| > | we doesn't define in our codebehind ...) . For example:
| > |
| > | the "Profile" Property is used to access the default Profile
Provider
| > for
| > | this application, and "ApplicationInstance" is used for accesssing
the
| > | current Request's associated ApplicationInstance object...
| > |
| > | And as for the warning, it is because when the first time our
reusable
| > page
| > | or usercontrol is added into another website project, and when use
| > "build"
| > | menu to build the website, VS.NET IDE will also try to generate
another
| > | page class which inherit from that page/usercontrol's precompiled
| > assembly
| > | (like App_Web_u02dnptq.dll), and since this class will also define
| > | "Profile or ApplicationInstance" property, we'll get that
| > warning.....(some
| > | what like a duplicated derived class...)
| > |
| > | In addition, I think we can just ignore this warning, because when
we
| > | publish our MainSite (which reuse those pages or controls), the
| > precompiled
| > | assemblies won't really generate a duplicated derived class, still
| > | reference the orginally generated precompiled assembly. I've
performed
| > some
| > | tests on myside to verify this.
| > |
| > | Hope helps. Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers
no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
Libraries
| > | |
| > | |

| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Stephen,

As for why the ASP.NET will choose to make the Profile and
ApplicationInstance interface dynamically compiled into the page or
usercontrol classes, it is somewhat from performance consideration. And we
could also call this a Lazy-Involve design. As for Profile service, not all
the ASP.NET web application will use it, as we can see that Profile servcie
can be disable in the web.config and in such scenario , the ASP.NET runtime
won't adding profiles service interfaces into Page or usercontrol classes
which can reduce some overhead... And for ApplicaitonInstance, that'll
be more complex than Profile service, it is not determined by some
configuration setting but by analyzing our page or control's code to see
whether ApplicaitonInstance is necessary. So I think this is also one of
the benefit provided by dynanmic compilation...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Stephen Woolhead" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<#ZK#[email protected]>
<#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<dFg#[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:00:24 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|

| I have been wondering if there is a reason these two methods are
implimented
| on the dynamic page class instead of in the base UserControl class?
|
| Stephen.
|
| | > Thanks for your further followup.
| >
| > Yes, I can see that when the imported precompiled controls' count
| > increase,
| > the warnings will become a pain. However, this is somewhat the
limitation
| > of such programming model. Since the new ASP.NET 2.0's precompiled model
| > provide the functionality to let dynamic page class precompiled, and
let
| > us
| > reuse existing compiled pages and usercontrols conveniently, but it'll
| > also
| > cause some negative behaviors. Sometimes it's hard to make it complete
| > perfect.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Stephen Woolhead" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Problems with Re-Usable ASP.NET User Control Libraries
| > | Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:39:33 -0000
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > |
| > | I understand what's happing and why. It isn't causing me a problem,
my
| > | project seems to be working.
| > |
| > | My problem with this is that it is a messy solution, now that I have
| > | converted all my control libraries I have hundreds of warnings that
I'll
| > | never be able to get rid off that are obscuring other warnings that
may
| > be
| > | of use to me.
| > |