problems with Ruby ODBC connection to MSSQL 2008

yermej

This might not be the right place for this question, but I'm hoping somebody here might be able to point me in the right (or even possibly right) direction. I recently tried querying an MSSQL 2008 database from Ruby. It worksfine unless I use a parameterized query. As an example:

d = DBI.connect('DBI:ODBC:eek:dbcdsn', 'name', 'pw')
d.select_all "SELECT * FROM atable WHERE afield = 'info';"
=> [[7, 'info', 123]]

d.select_all "SELECT * FROM atable WHERE afield = ?;", 'info'
=> DBI::DatabaseError: INTERN (0) [RubyODBC]No data found
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbd/odbc/database.rb:86:in `execute'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/dbi-0.4.3/lib/dbi/handles/database.rb:81:in `execute'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/dbi-0.4.3/lib/dbi/handles/database.rb:128:in `select_all'
from (irb):4

Does "INTERN (0)" indicate there's a problem in compiled code somewhere?

This issue is happening on VMs with Debian Etch, Ruby 1.8.6, ruby-odbc 0.99994, Ruby DBI 0.4.3, FreeTDS 0.63, and unixODBC 2.2.11. Parts are outdated,I know, but that's what I'm stuck with for now.

I know it will work correctly on a Debian machine with Ruby 1.8.6, ruby-odbc 0.99994, Ruby DBI 0.4.5, FreeTDS 0.82, and unixODBC 2.2.14.

I've been stuck on this problem for a while so I'm really just hoping somebody has seen something similar or has any kind of suggestions on where to look next. I'm guessing it's an issue with FreeTDS or unixODBC. I have no idea how to figure out which of those (if either) is causing the problem.

I'm also not sure I have a good understanding of how all this works together. Is it correct to say that Ruby DBI uses ruby-odbc which uses unixODBC which uses FreeTDS? And ruby-odbc is basically a Ruby wrapper around unixODBC? If it is an issue in unixODBC, would I need to upgrade unixODBC and then rebuild ruby-odbc?

Any advice would be very appreciated.