Problems with Tables

O.B.

At the following link, many of the pictures (7, 8, 10, 11 are just a
few) attempt to fill the entire page rather than the allotted width of 650.

http://www.havenbaptist.org/photoAlbum_VBS2004.php

This behavior "only" occurs with the Microsoft Internet Explorer
browser. I have run the code through some HTML validation programs and
nothing seems to be wrong. Can anyone tell me where the bug is?

rf

O.B. said:
At the following link, many of the pictures (7, 8, 10, 11 are just a
few) attempt to fill the entire page rather than the allotted width of
650.

It's a bug in the way IE treats table cells with colspan. Reconstruct the
pages so you don't have to use colspan.

Mark Parnell

At the following link, many of the pictures (7, 8, 10, 11 are just a
few) attempt to fill the entire page rather than the allotted width of 650.

Allotted where? By what/whom?

Works fine here. Oh, you mean I actually have to click on those images?
Well, you're not specifying the height or width for the image, so it
displays at its actual size.

BTW: Don't try and resize images using HTML. Use an image editing
program and change the size of the actual image.
I have run the code through some HTML validation programs and
nothing seems to be wrong.

Are you kidding? I can only assume you are not using a real validator
then. Try http://validator.w3.org/ (and
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ for your CSS).
Can anyone tell me where the bug is?

Ask the validator.

jake

O.B. said:
At the following link, many of the pictures (7, 8, 10, 11 are just a
few) attempt to fill the entire page rather than the allotted width of
650.

http://www.havenbaptist.org/photoAlbum_VBS2004.php

This behavior "only" occurs with the Microsoft Internet Explorer
browser. I have run the code through some HTML validation programs and
nothing seems to be wrong. Can anyone tell me where the bug is?
The ones that you mention seem OK to me, albeit with a small amount of
horizontal scroll needed to see the whole page at 1024.

More importantly, have you tested your site with a screen-reader or
talking browser (as used by those with sight, or reading difficulties)?
On my browser, I'm afraid, the menu system (as written) is quite
'invisible' -- and, hence, unusable.

regards.

O.B.

jake said:
The ones that you mention seem OK to me, albeit with a small amount of
horizontal scroll needed to see the whole page at 1024.

That's the bug. I wrote the page to fit within 800 pixels, and the table width
is set to 650. But for some reason, some pictures seem to expand beyond the 650
width. I made sure that none of the pictures actual physical width exceeded 500
pixels for this reason.
More importantly, have you tested your site with a screen-reader or
talking browser (as used by those with sight, or reading difficulties)?
On my browser, I'm afraid, the menu system (as written) is quite
'invisible' -- and, hence, unusable.

Good catch. I'll look into this further. Thanks.

O.B.

O.B. said:
At the following link, many of the pictures (7, 8, 10, 11 are just a
few) attempt to fill the entire page rather than the allotted width of 650.

http://www.havenbaptist.org/photoAlbum_VBS2004.php

This behavior "only" occurs with the Microsoft Internet Explorer
browser. I have run the code through some HTML validation programs and
nothing seems to be wrong. Can anyone tell me where the bug is?

Fixed the problem. At line 210, I changed the width from "100%" to "150" and
the problem went away. I'm not sure why the Microsoft browser got confused with
this on some pictures and not others.