Problems with Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 and IsolatedStorage

Simon Chester

Hello! Can anyone help me with this problem?...

I have developed an ASP.NET (version 1.1) application which I have deployed
to a number of webservers.

The web application works fine on Windows 2000 Server computers. It also
works OK on Windows 2003 Server UNTIL Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 is
installed!

The error and stack trace I am given is:

[DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "*".]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +287

System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetFileDirectoryNames(String
path, String msg, Boolean file) +373
System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetRandomDirectory(String
rootDir, Boolean& bMigrateNeeded, String& sOldStoreLocation) +55

System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.InitGlobalsNonRoaming(IsolatedStorageScope scope) +112

System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetRootDir(IsolatedStorageScope
scope) +98

System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetGlobalFileIOPerm(IsolatedStorageScope scope) +208
System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.Init(IsolatedStorageScope
scope) +37

System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetStore(IsolatedStorageScope
scope, Type domainEvidenceType, Type assemblyEvidenceType) +66
System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetUserStoreForDomain() +12

CMTC.Web.Configuration.WebAppConfigurator.WebAppConfigurator.LoadAppSettings()

CMTC.Web.Configuration.WebAppConfigurator.WebAppConfigurator.GetValue(String
key)
CMTC.Kumquat.KumquatConfigurator.get_IsDataSourceFullyConfigured() +41
CMTC.Kumquat.KumquatConfigurator.get_IsFullyConfigured() +12
CMTC.Kumquat.Global.Application_BeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
+562

System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +60
completedSynchronously) +87

As you can see, this problem is been caused by an Isolated Storage function.
I am confident that my code is correct (because it works fine on Windows 2000
and before Windows 2003 SP1 is applied). Therefore, I suspect that the
service pack changes some permissions on the computer that causes this
problem. However, I have been unable to determine exactly what permissions it
changes (machine.config and File System permissions for the Network Service
user look OK).

Has anyone else experienced anything similiar? What is it that Windows 2003
Service Pack 1 changes that interrupts the way my app uses Isolated Storage?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Simon said:
Hello! Can anyone help me with this problem?...

I have developed an ASP.NET (version 1.1) application

HTH,
Bob Barrows