    anyway). There is no ASPNET account on Vista -- how does one grant
    sufficient permissions to NETWORK SERVICE to get this to work?

    Is there a way out?

    Dilip, Feb 21, 2008

  2. Hello Dilip,

    Why do u need to do this? Because there could be other more "normal" ways
    to achive your requirement

    ---
    WBR,

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Feb 21, 2008

  3. Dilip

    Dilip Guest

    On Feb 21, 3:07 pm, Michael Nemtsev [MVP] <> wrote:
    > Hello Dilip,
    >
    > Why do u need to do this? Because there could be other more "normal" ways
    > to achive your requirement

    Its a long story. I would love to elaborate but its very difficult to
    explain anything coherently without giving you the complete picture
    right from the beginning which would only serve to confuse the
    issues. Think of this as a legacy hurdle with our product.

    For the moment can you tell me if its even possible to launch an UI
    app from an ASP.NET application running under IIS7/Vista?

    Dilip, Feb 21, 2008
  4. I am sure it can be done, but the problem is - the UI app is going to run on
    the webserver, not on the client. Probably nobody will even be logged on to
    see it and dismiss any dialogs, so "not advised".
    --Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog: htp://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Feb 21, 2008
  5. Dilip

    Dilip Guest

    On Feb 21, 3:46 pm, Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]
    <> wrote:
    > I am sure it can be done, but the problem is - the UI app is going to run on
    > the webserver, not on the client. Probably nobody will even be logged on to
    > see it and dismiss any dialogs, so "not advised".
    > --Peter

    If it can be done I owe you a huge glass of beer. I know the UI app
    is going to run on the web server and that is perfectly alright. The
    machine where the webserver is running is logged on _all_the_time_!

    I need this to work on both Vista and XP eventually. What would I
    need to do?

    Dilip, Feb 21, 2008
  6. "Dilip" <> wrote in message

    > The machine where the webserver is running is logged on _all_the_time_!

    You can't possibly be serious...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 21, 2008
  7. Dilip

    bruce barker Guest

    services do not access desktop. in earlier versions of the os you set a
    checkbox "interact with desktop" on the service (required service running as
    admin). Vista has completely removed this feature.

    your best bet is to write a controlling applicaton that runs when the user
    logins in to the vista box (put in startup group). the website can use
    remoting to talk to the controlling application which will do the actual
    start and pass parameters and input/ output stream data.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 21, 2008
  8. Dilip

    Dilip Guest

    On Feb 21, 4:28 pm, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > "Dilip" <> wrote in message

    > > The machine where the webserver is running is logged on _all_the_time_!

    > You can't possibly be serious...

    I am. Have you seen applications running on big kiosks that allow
    patrons to selfcheck items they rent from the library? Those
    applications cover the entire real estate of the monitor and run
    forever 24x7. Access to that kiosk is locked out (no keyboards or
    mouse or such).

    Dilip, Feb 22, 2008
  9. Dilip

    Dilip Guest

    On Feb 21, 5:37 pm, bruce barker
    <> wrote:
    > services do not access desktop. in earlier versions of the os you set a
    > checkbox "interact with desktop" on the service (required service running as
    > admin). Vista has completely removed this feature.
    >
    > your best bet is to write a controlling applicaton that runs when the user
    > logins in to the vista box (put in startup group). the website can use
    > remoting to talk to the controlling application which will do the actual
    > start and pass parameters and input/ output stream data.

    This is what we eventually decided. Thanks for validating!

    Dilip, Feb 22, 2008