Processcommunication with Java, be informed whe process finishes.

Peter.weik

Hello,

I have a java programm which shall open a Browser with a certain URL
AND!!!!! if this browser window is closed from a use after a while, the
java programm should be informed about this.

The following code is what I did. I am able to open a browser OS
independently.
package com.indatex.browsercommunication;
import java.io.*;
/* Note - you must include the url type -- either "http://" or
* "file://".
*/
public class BrowserControlOSIndependent
{
// Used to identify the windows platform.
private String WIN_ID = "Windows";
// The default system browser under windows.
private String WIN_PATH = "rundll32";
// The flag to display a url.
private String WIN_FLAG = "url.dll,FileProtocolHandler";
// The default browser under unix.
private String UNIX_PATH = "netscape";
// The flag to display a url.
private String UNIX_FLAG = "-remote openURL";
private Process p = null;

public boolean hasBrowserFinished()throws Exception{
if(p.exitValue()>0){
return true;
}
p.destroy();
return false;
}

public void displayURL(String url)
{
boolean windows = isWindowsPlatform();
String cmd = null;
try
{
if (windows)
{
// cmd = 'rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler
http://...'
cmd = WIN_PATH + " " + WIN_FLAG + " " + url;
p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);
try {
p.waitFor();
} catch (InterruptedException e) {
// TODO Auto-generated catch block
e.printStackTrace();
else
{
// Under Unix, Netscape has to be running for the
"-remote"
// command to work. So, we try sending the command and
// check for an exit value. If the exit command is 0,
// it worked, otherwise we need to start the browser.
// cmd = 'netscape -remote
openURL(http://www.javaworld.com)'
cmd = UNIX_PATH + " " + UNIX_FLAG + "(" + url + ")";
Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);
try
{
// wait for exit code -- if it's 0, command worked,
// otherwise we need to start the browser up.
int exitCode = p.waitFor();
if (exitCode != 0)
{
// Command failed, start up the browser
// cmd = 'netscape http://www.javaworld.com'
cmd = UNIX_PATH + " " + url;
p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);
catch(InterruptedException x)
{
System.err.println("Error bringing up browser,
cmd='" +
cmd + "'");
System.err.println("Caught: " + x);
catch(IOException x)
{
// couldn't exec browser
System.err.println("Could not invoke browser, command=" +
cmd);
System.err.println("Caught: " + x);
/**
* Try to determine whether this application is running under
Windows
* or some other platform by examing the "os.name" property.
*
* @return true if this application is running under a Windows OS
*/
public boolean isWindowsPlatform()
{
String os = System.getProperty("os.name");
if ( os != null && os.startsWith(WIN_ID))
return true;
else
return false;

Thats everything fine. BUT!! if I close the Browser Window the java
programm shall be notified.
How does this work???

I thougt the easiest way is to examine the exitValue() of the process
in a lets say endles loop.
That doesnt work with process.exitValue() I always get 0, if the
browser is closed or not.

Could you help me?

Thank,
Peter

pitthekid

Andrew said:
Hello.. again. Please refrain from multi-posting in future.

(X-post to c.l.j.p/h. w/ f-ups to c.l.j.p.)

Andrew T.

Sorry, explaint this, I dont understand.

Andrew Thompson

pitthekid said:
Sorry, explaint this, I dont understand.

1) What is it you do not understand?
a) My first sentence.
b) My second sentence.
c) The requote of the greeting 'Hello,'
d) My signature.
e) The word 'this'.

As an aside - am I supposed to presume that 'pitthekid'
is the same person as '(e-mail address removed)/Peter'?
If you are the same person, I would have expected to see
the post end with the same signature as the first, 'Peter'.

Andrew T.