processing large numbers/values/figures

David Squire

Lukas said:
but to the other question: does Perl initialize all value-fields to
zero, primarily for hash-value fields?

prompt> perl -e '$test{key}++; print $test{key}'
1

Lukas Ruf

Sherm Pendley [Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:50:01 -0400]:
Lukas Ruf said:
perl does not emit any warning anymore -- did you refer to my
mistyping of
$hsh{$key} += @record{$index};

instead of

$hsh{$key} += @record[$index];

Not that I want to be redundant, but the above is exactly why the
posting guidelines suggest copy-and-pasting your code instead of
retyping it. It helps avoid errors such as these.

yeah, I know.
It also helps avoid "read the posting guidelines" responses. :)

but to the other question: does Perl initialize all value-fields to
zero, primarily for hash-value fields?

Thanks.

wbr,
Lukas