    MB in size or greater) and how long that has taken.

    - Jeff
    , Oct 10, 2006

  2. On 10/10/06, <> wrote:
    > What I'm curious about is if any of you have been using REXML (or
    > perhaps another XML solution for Ruby) to parse and modify XML files in
    > memory. If so, what sorts of processing times have you found?

    Ask Tim Bray:
    http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/
    He is doing some pretty serious work in this regard.

    I have seen some benchmarks that put REXML processing at being
    about 10 times slower than an equivalent java mechanism:

    http://www.pankaj-k.net/archives/2005/11/ruby_or_java_a.html

    REXML is the 'user-friendly' and cross platform ruby parser.
    When you need hardcore performance, you need to check out
    one of the alternative Ruby parsers (typically implemented in
    C). YMMV.
    Richard Conroy, Oct 10, 2006

  3. Tim Perrett Guest

    > REXML is the 'user-friendly' and cross platform ruby parser.
    > When you need hardcore performance, you need to check out
    > one of the alternative Ruby parsers (typically implemented in
    > C). YMMV.

    For sure, checkout libxml - it is a great deal faster than REXML. Tim.
    Tim Perrett, Jul 23, 2007