processModel in web.config

Matt Hasselback

Heres the brief.

i'm trying to specify a domain level account to run a SPECIFIC website
with, so that I can access network resources, fileshare directories,
etc.

MY STEPS
1.) i changed my machine.config <section name="processModel" ... />
tag parameter to allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"

2.) in web.config for my application i added a <processModel .. /> tag
with the desired username and password i want to run the website.

i have had mixed results. it seems the only sure-fire method is to
restart the machine completely. running iisreset does not always
reflect my config file changes.

any thoughts on the overall solution and/or why iisreset does not
always reset?

thanks in advance...

Natty Gur

Hi,

processModel can be sent only in Machine.config :

"Configures the ASP.NET process model settings on a Microsoft Internet
Information Services (IIS) Web server. The <processModel> section can be
set <b>only within the Machine.config file</b> and affects all ASP.NET
applications running on the server. " [MSDN].

you can use Identity tag to set application user :
<identity impersonate=true userName="a" password="z"/> :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgenre
f/html/gngrfIdentitySection.asp

HTH

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Tinman

Natty Gur said:
Hi,

processModel can be sent only in Machine.config :

"Configures the ASP.NET process model settings on a Microsoft Internet
Information Services (IIS) Web server. The <processModel> section can be
set <b>only within the Machine.config file</b> and affects all ASP.NET
applications running on the server. " [MSDN].

you can use Identity tag to set application user :
<identity impersonate=true userName="a" password="z"/> :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgenre
f/html/gngrfIdentitySection.asp

HTH

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Hi,

This is not true, <processModel> can be set in web.config file if the
<section> within machione.config file for processModel has its
allowDefinition attriburte set "MachineToApplication"

Hope this helps

Tinman

Matt Hasselback

I was able to configure with MachineToApplication, but it is hit or miss
whether it becomes "active". sometimes saving the machine.config and the
changes take effect. other times it requires a machine reboot.

any ideas?

Dharmesh

If you change precessModel tag it requires IIS reboot. There are some
settings which will require reboot while most don't. processModel requires
reboot.

Dharmesh