ProcessStartInfo - launching external .exe on server from ASP.NET

Fruber Malcome

I have a button on a web page that launches an .exe on the web server to
perform some basic file handling tasks.

this application works fine on Win2k IIS5, but doesn't work on 2003 Server
IIS6.

there are no exceptions or error messages when trying to launch the
process - just nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions on this?

What is the best approach to handling this - short of porting the .exe to a
..dll and making an API call?

thanks - Fruber

Fruber Malcome

I do plan to port the code - it's not quite as easy right now because most
of the code is c++ (native). So to-do this properly, it should be ported to
..NET.
In the meantime - I need something to work, are there any known issues
between 2003 server versus Win2K - that would allow this web application to
shellexecute with no problems in 2k but not within 2003 (IIS6)?

thanks - Fruber

Fruber Malcome

since I only used the default config (created the app - then nothing else) -
it may still be using NetworkService and it's default properties.
Sounds like that may be my problem, what is the standard approach to fix
this?

thanks - bill

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Most likely you are having security issues. Does the account for the web
app have enough rights to run the exe?

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

Fruber Malcome said:
I do plan to port the code - it's not quite as easy right now because most
of the code is c++ (native). So to-do this properly, it should be ported
to .NET.
In the meantime - I need something to work, are there any known issues
between 2003 server versus Win2K - that would allow this web application
to shellexecute with no problems in 2k but not within 2003 (IIS6)?

thanks - Fruber

Eliyahu Goldin

You can impersonate the app to run under another account with sufficient
rights.

Start from here:

Fruber Malcome said:
I do plan to port the code - it's not quite as easy right now because
most of the code is c++ (native). So to-do this properly, it should be
ported to .NET.
In the meantime - I need something to work, are there any known issues
between 2003 server versus Win2K - that would allow this web application
to shellexecute with no problems in 2k but not within 2003 (IIS6)?

thanks - Fruber

message A good alternative would be to convert the exe into a .NET class library
that
handles whatever you need to do. Then, you can set a .NET reference to
your
class library and be able to debug through all the code and ensure that
it
works properly.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com