producing XML to present data: design pattern?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Gabriel_k, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Gabriel_k

    Gabriel_k Guest

    want to ask what is common practice on an issue.

    We have an xml-server that presents data from a database upon certain
    requests.
    Now, when programming the xml-server, it is a lot easier if the structure
    can be made to suit the database structure (which is very flat). However,
    this will not group related elements together, they will be on the same
    level as unrelated data, like this:

    <model/>
    <price/>
    <ownerCurrent/>
    <ownerLast/>
    <ownerSellTo>/

    This is just a made up examle to illustrate. The owner elements are related,
    and should be related I think, under en element called <owners> or
    something.

    This is why I ask this question:
    At work my boss is making the xml-server, and he wanted the simple
    structure.
    This means that I must make several XSLs to format the XMLs that present
    different objects, although they look quite similiar. If the data was
    structured, I could make one general xsl to format all of them, making
    maintenance a lot easier.

    I argue that it is the PURPOSE of the xml-server to hand the data in a
    semantic structured way, suitable for the request. Not to be easy to
    program.
    So either the xml-server is easy to program, or the xsl programming is not
    as general and harder to change.

    What is common practice on this issue?

    /Gabriel

    Gabriel_k, Aug 12, 2003