Product Feeds ( Advice )

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Eddie Stone, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Eddie Stone

    Eddie Stone Guest

    I've been tasked to produce some system wherby affiliates can display our
    products on their website. At the moment affiliates are simply mirroring
    the site and there is no organisation.

    I said I could improve on this and add a consistent, convenient system for
    supplying the latest products to our affiliates. Little did I know that
    they'd go for it !

    I have several options I think

    1. Rss Feeds ( I dont think it is flexible enough to support all the
    elements of our products )

    2. Web Service ( No problem but I think it may be bridge to far for some
    affiliates )

    3. Some kind of javascript thingy like google Ad sense.

    If there is anyone reading who has experience with a similar project I
    would greatful for some advice.

    TIA;
    Eddie Stone, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Eddie Stone

    Alex Passos Guest

    Well you can do it like (cough cough) Amazon does where you plug in a little
    code in your web page and it pulls in the product layouts. Ideally XML
    would be great to feed the products out. I have seen some of the larger
    vendors like TechData running dedicated XML servers where they provide all
    product attributes, including latest pricing based on a request-response
    model. Some people cache the product data on their databases and just
    update the prices.

    I think to be the most flexible if possible for you to offer both solutions.
    But you will want to design your XML system so you can request a "short" or
    "long" description of a product, for example:

    short: Product name, manufacturer, UPC, current price, weight
    long: short + product description, cross links to other products, and much
    more.

    Alex

    Alex Passos, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Eddie Stone

    Nergal Guest

    Thanks Alex, interesting.

    I will have a look how other vendors do it to see what I can learn.

    --
    ¬¬¬¬nergal¬¬¬¬
    Nergal, Apr 8, 2005