Product Feeds ( Advice )

Eddie Stone

I've been tasked to produce some system wherby affiliates can display our
products on their website. At the moment affiliates are simply mirroring
the site and there is no organisation.

I said I could improve on this and add a consistent, convenient system for
supplying the latest products to our affiliates. Little did I know that
they'd go for it !

I have several options I think

1. Rss Feeds ( I dont think it is flexible enough to support all the
elements of our products )

2. Web Service ( No problem but I think it may be bridge to far for some
affiliates )

3. Some kind of javascript thingy like google Ad sense.

If there is anyone reading who has experience with a similar project I
would greatful for some advice.

TIA;

Alex Passos

Well you can do it like (cough cough) Amazon does where you plug in a little
code in your web page and it pulls in the product layouts. Ideally XML
would be great to feed the products out. I have seen some of the larger
vendors like TechData running dedicated XML servers where they provide all
product attributes, including latest pricing based on a request-response
model. Some people cache the product data on their databases and just
update the prices.

I think to be the most flexible if possible for you to offer both solutions.
But you will want to design your XML system so you can request a "short" or
"long" description of a product, for example:

short: Product name, manufacturer, UPC, current price, weight
long: short + product description, cross links to other products, and much
more.

Alex

Nergal

Thanks Alex, interesting.

I will have a look how other vendors do it to see what I can learn.