Production server fails to load page (works locally)

mwallis76

I am in the stages of pushing up web app to a production server and I
am running into an error that I cannot seem trace down. I have a page
that allows one to change their password and runs just fine locally but
fails to load remotely (receive the famous XML Parsing Error: no
element found error).

I was able to trap in the Application_Error event handler and examine
the Context's AllErrors Exception array, which consisted of just one
exception:

System.Web.HttpCompileException:
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\sceptrweb\6cd75803\85ca2c60\App_Web_changepassword.aspx.475a53d1.4xdivkvq.0.cs(140):
error CS0030: Cannot convert type 'ASP.preferences_changepassword_aspx'
to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ChangePassword'
at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.Compile()
at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild()
at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath
virtualPath)
at
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath
virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean
allowBuildInPrecompile)
at
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext
context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean
allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
at
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath
virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean
noAssert)
at
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath
virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean
allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)
at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext
context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String
physicalPath)
at
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.System.Web.IHttpHandlerFactory2.GetHandler(HttpContext
context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String
physicalPath)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context,
String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean
useAppConfig)
at
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step,
Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Any help on out to get the remote page working would be greatly
appreciated. This stack trace is going much deeper in the workings of
ASP.NET, beyond my current knowledge.

Thanks!
Michael

Tim_Mac

hi,
for some reason it is using the .Net "ChangePassword" class rather than your
own one. The simplest approach may be to rename your own page. i
encountered a similar problem previously and couldn't figure it out, except
that the problem went away when i used a unique name.

hope this helps
tim

mwallis76

Tim,
Thanks for the heads up as this did correct the problem. I should
have thought of this before hand as I did experience the page naming
problem with my original page "Login.aspx", which conflicted with the
Login control but failed right up front of the build process (this was
not exposed / brought out later down the line on the production
server). Thus, I ended up renaming the "Login.aspx" page to
"MemberLogin.aspx" and for original problem in this thread, I renamed
"ChangePassword.aspx" to "Password.aspx" and now is corrected.

Thank you for your help!

Michael