Professional Web Site Services

Lee Hirt

As a professional Web site administrator. I started out doing grant
work (putting up Web sites on the Internet regarding specific
subjects).

- Local ISP's Web site administrator and was elected to the board of
directors.
- Web site administrator for the Indiana Chapter of the National
Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- Web site administrator and digital archivist for my county's library
system.
- Worked with the USDA, national organizations, businesses, and
private individuals
- Worked extensively with photograph restoration
- Taught HTML, various levels of computer/Internet classes
- Have background in art, design, editing

I charge a flat fee for my work. You are buying a segment of my time
whether I am troubleshooting your site, setting up a hosting package
for you, building you a Web page (regardless of content: tables,
photographs, discussion groups, etc.), doing digital archiving,
photograph restoration, instructing your employees in various computer
programs, scanning, Web site structure, or the basic use of the
computer.

Last count (several years ago) I had done 5,000 Web pages and have
been a Web designer for 10+ years.

Jason, thank you for opening this newsgroup up to Web site designers'
ads. I have added alt.html to this post.
--

Lee

Just quiltin' along life's highway and visitin' with my friends.

May your fingers be nimble and a smile always be on your lips.

Ariaan Blok

Lee said:
[...]

I do not think he intended for you to do some advertising, Lee! As this is
Jasons own news group, he has the right to make people aware of the fact
that he is also offering web services.
Are you willing to participate in the discussions and the community here,
Lee, or are you merely here for your worldly gains? In that case, I suggest
you read some of our topics.

Ariaan

Ariaan Blok

Lee said:
[...]

Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry, please disregard my other post. I see you are
participating in this news group.
I had not seen you before, so I thought you were just another spammer. 1000
x sorry.

regards,
Ariaan

Ariaan Blok

Ariaan said:
Lee,
Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry, please disregard my other post. I see
you are participating in this news group.
I had not seen you before, so I thought you were just another
spammer. 1000 x sorry.

regards,
Ariaan

Me and my big mouth...

Ben Dover - Mental Patient 0057

Lee said:
As a professional Web site administrator. I started out doing grant

Last count (several years ago) I had done 5,000 Web pages and have
been a Web designer for 10+ years.
you've been a web designer for 10+ years?
more than ten?
really, what company were you working for 10 years ago? 11? 12?
well, I've been a Microsoft .Net programmer for 5 years.
and I've been developing perl6 for 10 years.
I've been a UNIX programmer for 90 years.
and a slide ruler programmer for 100 years.

Lee Hirt

Wow. 10+ years, huh?
So, you helped Tim B-L design the first web browser, the first server,
HTML, and the HTTP protocol, huh?

HTML was created in 1990 a little over 13 years ago what is your
point, but you are right it was 1994. I went back and checked my
records.

When I started there were no nifty HTML editors. We used Notepad and
sometimes the DOS edit program. As I am sure you know all HTML Web
page is, is the coding saved as a text file with a htm(l) ending.
Tables, graphics, everything was handcoded.

How I got in on it so early was a group in my little town managed to
get a grant to hook up to something called the "Internet." At the
time they really had no idea what it was, but decided to go ahead and
do it. Because of the grant Internet service was free to anyone who
could dial in locally. And people, including me, did get "online."

Back then if you mentioned the Internet people looked at you like you
were nuts. They had never heard of it. It has been an interesting
evolution. What has been interesting is I am involved in two quilt
groups outside my local area. Percentage wise our little group has a
MUCH larger number of Internet users than Bloomington, a college town,
or Indianapolis.

I don't think that the hand full of people who got the grant had any
idea how much it would impact our community. Every official has their
own free e-mail. All of our schools have Internet connection and the
computer labs to support it. All employees of our school system have
free e-mail. Any agency can have space for their Web site. Senior
citizen centers have free Internet service.

BTW - You might note as I posted previously, " I posted no Web site,
no references, and no e-mail address. Ya see a pattern here. I
posted my "ad" for a point."

The last thing I want is more work. I reached my saturation long ago
and if I take on more I have to start hiring people and I simply don't
want to go that direction.
--

Lee

Just quiltin' along life's highway and visitin' with my friends.

May your fingers be nimble and a smile always be on your lips.

EightNineThree

Last count (several years ago) I had done 5,000 Web pages and have
been a Web designer for 10+ years.

Wow. 10+ years, huh?
So, you helped Tim B-L design the first web browser, the first server,
HTML, and the HTTP protocol, huh?

--
Karl Core

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche

eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

William Tasso

EightNineThree said:
Wow. 10+ years, huh?
So, you helped Tim B-L design the first web browser, the first server,
HTML, and the HTTP protocol, huh?

Obviously we are not worthy ;o)

REIVER

Lee Hirt said:
HTML was created in 1990 a little over 13 years ago what is your
point, but you are right it was 1994. I went back and checked my
records.

Might be careful on who you crosspost to. Especially if they know better.

Reiver

PeterMcC

Lee said:
HTML was created in 1990 a little over 13 years ago what is your
point, but you are right it was 1994. I went back and checked my
records.
BTW - You might note as I posted previously, " I posted no Web site,
no references, and no e-mail address. Ya see a pattern here. I
posted my "ad" for a point."
I'm baffled - what was the point?

EightNineThree

Lee Hirt said:
HTML was created in 1990 a little over 13 years ago what is your
point, but you are right it was 1994. I went back and checked my
records.

You're right, HTML was created in 1990. But were *you* authoring HTML in
1990?

By your own admission you say "it was 1994". I dunno where you learned
math, but 2003-1994 is not 10, much less "10+"

In 1994, Mosaic was barely out and IIRC, Netscape wasn't formed until about
the end of 1994.

--
Karl Core

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche

eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

Dylan Parry

Lee said:
Tables, graphics, everything was handcoded.

Back in 1994, table elements were merely a twinkle in someone's eye. They
were not supported at all until 1995. Images were just about supported,
but then the only browser available was Mosaic and that was only just out
of diapers.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Lee said:
When I started there were no nifty HTML editors. We used Notepad and
sometimes the DOS edit program.

You had it easy. In my days, we had to carve the HTML into stone plates
and carry those stone plates ten miles, through blizzards and
carnivores, to the next server.

Matthias

Dylan Parry

Matthias said:
You had it easy. In my days, we had to carve the HTML into stone plates
and carry those stone plates ten miles, through blizzards and
carnivores, to the next server.

Pfft. There were no tools when I started out, we had to wait for the rain
to erode the stone plates! We were lucky if the erosion created any HTML
at all, never mind validating stuff!

EightNineThree

Lee Hirt said:
When I wrote the original piece it was not as an ad. It was as a tool
to explain something else.

Which is exactly what I said when I went back and looked at my
records.

And your point is?

My point is that nary anyone (compared to now) was authoring HTML then.
The release of Mosaic - and the fact that it was much easier to install than
most previous browsers - is seen (in my eyes) as the start of when things
really got rolling and people really started to put up Web pages.

When I started online we used Archie, telnet,, and gopher. I was
using modem communication at the time to send my freelance work to my
employer.

I'm proud of you.
My dad can kick your dad's ass.

--
Karl Core

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche

eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

Art Sackett

I trimmed out the religious folks, as their group isn't available here.
Not that they'd like me much anyway...

Matthias Gutfeldt said:
You had it easy. In my days, we had to carve the HTML into stone plates
and carry those stone plates ten miles, through blizzards and
carnivores, to the next server.

Billy Bob Jim Ray found my new address and may be coming around for a
visit some day... he'll have some wonderful stories about cranking out
HTML on a TRS-80 while sitting on a broken milk crate in a drafty barn.
His TRS-80 is still running a 2400 baud modem and he carries around a
binder full of 8" floppies and a cassette deck... he gets his spare
parts by scrounging around estate sales and less than clueful pawn
shops, has a master's degree in soldering with a finishing nail heated
by a propane weed burner.

I hope he doesn't show up dragging another road-killed deer.

Lee Hirt

[...]

Hate to tell you but I wrote that off the top of my head. When I was
challenged I took the time and went back through my records. Nice try
though.
--

Lee

Just quiltin' along life's highway and visitin' with my friends.

May your fingers be nimble and a smile always be on your lips.

Lee Hirt

You had it easy. In my days, we had to carve the HTML into stone plates
and carry those stone plates ten miles, through blizzards and
carnivores, to the next server.

LOL! Actually I have really enjoyed the turn this thread took. I had
forgotten those days. It was fun to look back. I was also kind of
shocked. I guess I assumed that if I knew it, it had probably been
around for years.
--

Lee

Just quiltin' along life's highway and visitin' with my friends.

May your fingers be nimble and a smile always be on your lips.

Lee Hirt

My point is that nary anyone (compared to now) was authoring HTML then.
The release of Mosaic - and the fact that it was much easier to install than
most previous browsers - is seen (in my eyes) as the start of when things
really got rolling and people really started to put up Web pages.

Mosaic was out in February of "93