Proffesional programming

The Count

I studied C++ programming in BSc3.Now I want to know more about C++
programming in industry.What types of problems are solved using C++ in
industry?What qualities should I have in order to become a successful C
++ developer? How good do I have to be in order to run my own software
development company and what other requirements are necessary?

robertwessel2

I studied C++ programming in BSc3.Now I want to know more about C++
programming in industry.What types of problems are solved using C++ in
industry?What qualities should I have in order to become a successful C
++ developer? How good do I have to be in order to run my own software
development company and what other requirements are necessary?

Start with learning how to spell "Proffesional."

Ivan Vecerina

: I studied C++ programming in BSc3.Now I want to know more
: about C++ programming in industry. What types of problems
: are solved using C++ in industry?

C++ (like C) is most relevant to performance-oriented
applications. Example uses in the industry are:
- networking and server infrastructure
- 3D rendering / virtual reality (including gaming...)
- image processing (e.g. medical), signal processing
- some automation/motion control applications
- a number of embedded applications
- desktop applications with a performance-critical component
- other advanced data processing applications...
In all these fields, small development teams may be using
a high-level language and domain-specific libraries provided
by third parties. But when something new/fundamental needss
to be developed, C++ is usually the way to go.

You will also find C++ used in a number of legacy applications,
or in teams that have a C++ expertise. In many applications,
a high-level language (C#, Java, and in some cases even VB) or
a scripting language (Python, Ruby, ...) should be preferred
nowadays.

: What qualities should I have in order to become a successful
: C++ developer?

Keep learning. Be fast. Do not consider C++ as a solution,
but as a tool to develop value-added solutions for a customer.
Master other tools as well.

: How good do I have to be in order to run my own software
: development company and what other requirements are necessary?

First of all, it takes some experience. Lots of reading too.
A good starting point is probably:
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ppbook/index.shtml

I hope this helps,
Ivan

isoftor

[...]

--http://ivan.vecerina.com/contact/?subject=NG_POST<- email contact form
yeah,that's very useful! I learn much .

Dave Rahardja

The Count said:
: How good do I have to be in order to run my own software
: development company and what other requirements are necessary?

Running a software development company takes much more than technical skills.
Most failed businesses are started by technically competent people with no
business or management skills.

Come to think of it, this is off-topic for this newsgroup.

-dr

mlimber

I studied C++ programming in BSc3.Now I want to know more about C++
programming in industry.What types of problems are solved using C++ in
industry?What qualities should I have in order to become a successful C
++ developer? How good do I have to be in order to run my own software
development company and what other requirements are necessary?

See the Creator's notes:

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/applications.html

and

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#use-C++

Cheers! --M

Walter Bright

Start with learning how to spell "Proffesional."

Reminds me of a business professor I know. He'd start each class in each
semester by writing the following words on the board:

business
entrepreneur
their there they're
your you're
its it's
to too two

and stated that any misspelling of any of those words on any homework,
paper, or exam meant an automatic "F" on the work, regardless of its
other merit.

kwikius

Reminds me of a business professor I know. He'd start each class in each
semester by writing the following words on the board:

business
entrepreneur
their there they're
your you're
its it's
to too two

and stated that any misspelling of any of those words on any homework,
paper, or exam meant an automatic "F" on the work, regardless of its
other merit.

hmmm... accompanied with the words "Spell this f*cker!", a
sledgehammer applied to the side of the head would certainly benefit
this character. What a w*nker.

I suggest you spelling enthusiasts should head for a suitable
newsgroup. This stuff is O.T. on comp.lang.c++.

regards
Andy Little

Ivan Vecerina

: On 16 Mar, 03:01, Walter Bright <[email protected]>
: wrote:
:
: > Reminds me of a business professor I know. He'd start each class in
each
: > semester by writing the following words on the board:
: >
: > business
: > entrepreneur
: > their there they're
: > your you're
: > its it's
: > to too two
: >
: > and stated that any misspelling of any of those words on any
homework,
: > paper, or exam meant an automatic "F" on the work, regardless of its
: > other merit.
:
: hmmm... accompanied with the words "Spell this f*cker!", a
: sledgehammer applied to the side of the head would certainly benefit
: this character. What a w*nker.
Well, this is totally O.T. and uncalled for.

: I suggest you spelling enthusiasts should head for a suitable
: newsgroup. This stuff is O.T. on comp.lang.c++.

In business, some spelling mistakes can seriously
damage your credibility.
In a critical C++ embedded system, you may have a strict
requirement for use of RAII, or use of functions that are
free of buffer overruns. Given simple rules, I would
support a C++ teacher who would say upfront that some
programming mistakes will guarantee you an F.

Yet I'd be kinder with a poster in this NG, who might
not be a native English speaker. (as a few of us...)

Regards,
Ivan

kwikius

:
[...]

Well. I shall have to mark You with an F. You declared my post O.T.
but that post was already declaring the previous post O.T. haha!

I suggest you point your finger at Walter Bright, not me. It was him
that started this whole O.T discussion.

I guess that using two sledge hammers simultaneously applied on each
side, the guys head should end up like a pizza. I could put the O.E.D
in a shredder and mix it with some scrambled egg and pump it back into
the guys head. Lets see him trying to spell "Bigot" after that!

regards
Andy Little