    new operating system and then an unwanted new development environment, I'm
    anxious to stop the bleeding/

    Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?
    David Levy, Feb 29, 2008

  2. David Levy wrote:
    > I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am
    > now running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual
    > Studio 2008 Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just
    > learned that the profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008
    > Professional. I would need to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having
    > been forced to buy an unwanted new operating system and then an unwanted
    > new development environment, I'm anxious to stop the bleeding/
    >
    > Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

    I think they had a managed code profiler available for download in their
    site, some time ago. Do you want to profile managed code, native code,
    or mixed code?
    Ioannis Vranos, Feb 29, 2008

  3. David Levy

    David Levy Guest

    > I think they had a managed code profiler available for download in their
    > site, some time ago. Do you want to profile managed code, native code,
    > or mixed code?

    Native only.

    Thanks
    David Levy, Feb 29, 2008
  4. David Levy wrote:
    >> I think they had a managed code profiler available for download in
    >> their site, some time ago. Do you want to profile managed code, native
    >> code, or mixed code?

    > Native only.
    >
    > Thanks

    I suppose there are some free ones out there.
    Ioannis Vranos, Feb 29, 2008
  5. David Levy

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    David Levy wrote:
    > I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am
    > now running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual
    > Studio 2008 Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just
    > learned that the profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008
    > Professional. I would need to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having
    > been forced to buy an unwanted new operating system and then an unwanted
    > new development environment, I'm anxious to stop the bleeding/
    >
    > Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

    Er... Linux? What forced you to buy an unwanted new operating system?
    Jeff Schwab, Feb 29, 2008
  6. David Levy

    mike3 Guest

    On Feb 28, 5:23 pm, "David Levy" <>
    wrote:
    > I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am now
    > running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual Studio 2008
    > Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just learned that the
    > profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008 Professional. I would need
    > to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having been forced to buy an unwanted
    > new operating system and then an unwanted new development environment, I'm
    > anxious to stop the bleeding/
    >
    > Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

    How could you possibly even afford a copy of VSTS, anyway?!
    mike3, Feb 29, 2008
  7. David Levy wrote:
    > Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

    I'm not aware of any free profilers for Windows (Linux would be a
    different story).
    From the commercial ones, AQtime seems to be a rather good one in my
    experience.
    Juha Nieminen, Feb 29, 2008
  8. David Levy

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <kgIxj.3245$>,
    says...
    > I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am now
    > running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual Studio 2008
    > Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just learned that the
    > profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008 Professional. I would need
    > to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having been forced to buy an unwanted
    > new operating system and then an unwanted new development environment, I'm
    > anxious to stop the bleeding/
    >
    > Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

    AMD has a free profiler named CodeAnalyst that you might find useful.

    http://developer.amd.com/tools/codeanalystwindows/Pages/default.aspx

    As you'd expect, this is oriented primarily for use on AMD processors.
    IIRC, it runs to some degree on Intel processors, but with substantial
    limitations (though, of course, I can't guarantee that).

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Mar 1, 2008