profiler, again

David Levy

I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am now
running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual Studio 2008
Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just learned that the
profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008 Professional. I would need
to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having been forced to buy an unwanted
new operating system and then an unwanted new development environment, I'm
anxious to stop the bleeding/

Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

Ioannis Vranos

David said:
I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am
now running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual
Studio 2008 Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just
learned that the profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008
Professional. I would need to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having
been forced to buy an unwanted new operating system and then an unwanted
new development environment, I'm anxious to stop the bleeding/

Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

I think they had a managed code profiler available for download in their
site, some time ago. Do you want to profile managed code, native code,
or mixed code?

David Levy

I think they had a managed code profiler available for download in their
site, some time ago. Do you want to profile managed code, native code,
or mixed code?

Native only.

Thanks

Jeff Schwab

David said:
I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am
now running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual
Studio 2008 Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just
learned that the profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008
Professional. I would need to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having
been forced to buy an unwanted new operating system and then an unwanted
new development environment, I'm anxious to stop the bleeding/

Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

Er... Linux? What forced you to buy an unwanted new operating system?

mike3

I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am now
running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual Studio 2008
Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just learned that the
profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008 Professional. I would need
to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having been forced to buy an unwanted
new operating system and then an unwanted new development environment, I'm
anxious to stop the bleeding/

Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

How could you possibly even afford a copy of VSTS, anyway?!

Juha Nieminen

David said:
Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

I'm not aware of any free profilers for Windows (Linux would be a
different story).
From the commercial ones, AQtime seems to be a rather good one in my
experience.

Jerry Coffin

I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am now
running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual Studio 2008
Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just learned that the
profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008 Professional. I would need
to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having been forced to buy an unwanted
new operating system and then an unwanted new development environment, I'm
anxious to stop the bleeding/

Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

AMD has a free profiler named CodeAnalyst that you might find useful.

http://developer.amd.com/tools/codeanalystwindows/Pages/default.aspx

As you'd expect, this is oriented primarily for use on AMD processors.
IIRC, it runs to some degree on Intel processors, but with substantial
limitations (though, of course, I can't guarantee that).