profiling a C++ python extension

rasmus

I have used gprof to profile stand alone C++ programs. I am also
aware of pure python profilers. However, is there a way to get
profile information on my C++ functions when they are compiled in a
shared library (python extension module) and called from python. From
what I can tell, gmon.out will not be generated unless the entire
executable (python interpreter) was compiled with -pg. Is my only
solution to recompile the python interpreter with -pg so that my
extension module (also compiled with -pg) produces a gmon.out?

Any suggestions or tips would be helpful.

Matt

brickenstein

Hi!
It doesn't suffice to compile the python interpreter with -pg, as the
module is loaded via dlopen.
I solved the problem for my case compiling an executable with embedded
python and the module itself.
I would wish, that there would be an easier way.
Best regards,
Michael

Matthew Woodcraft

rasmus said:
I have used gprof to profile stand alone C++ programs. I am also
aware of pure python profilers. However, is there a way to get
profile information on my C++ functions when they are compiled in a
shared library (python extension module) and called from python.
Any suggestions or tips would be helpful.

You didn't say what platform you're using. If you're using linux and
have root access, oprofile should be able to do what you need.

-M-