Profiling aspnet_wp.exe?

Ben Rush

Hello,

We are currently experiencing a situation where the wp is being recycled
approx. every 12 hours due to it an 800 meg memory limit we've imposed on
it. This tells me that we've got a memory leak somewhere. I would like to
profile the memory being held onto by the wp to see exactly what is taking
up the 800 megs - is there such a way?

Thanks,
Ben

Alvin

There are a number of tools that you can use including memory profiler but
the problem is really that the asp net worker process does not give back its
memory to the operating system until the application domain unloads. I am
told that this has been fixed in asp net 2. This bug causes all applications
to slowly build up memory until the server either crashes or the worker
process is recycled. You may be able to stem the growth by fixing memory
leaks, but the problem will not go away. If you have a stateless system you
can set the memory limit lower. For stateful systems, you are pretty much
out of luck.

regards