Profiling memory usage in tomcat 5

Discussion in 'Java' started by dayjah, May 9, 2006.

  1. dayjah

    dayjah Guest

    Hi Group,

    We have a scenario where we're leaking memory and need a way to inspect
    in real time (preferably) or post problem tomcat's memory usage.
    Ideally we're looking for some form of stats that show the number of
    instances of a given class along side it's memory usage and a way of
    seeing this over time.

    So far the best find is
    http://eclipsecolorer.sourceforge.net/index_profiler.html however
    initial looks at this seem to suggest that it will not provide the
    counts that we're interested in.

    Any suggestions would be great, if you need any more information from
    me on this please ask,

    Setup;

    JVM 1.4.2
    Tomcat 5.0.28
    mod_jk - latest from jpackage.org
    apache2 using worker

    Thanks,

    Mike
    dayjah, May 9, 2006

  2. "dayjah" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > We have a scenario where we're leaking memory and need a way to inspect
    > in real time (preferably) or post problem tomcat's memory usage.
    > Ideally we're looking for some form of stats that show the number of
    > instances of a given class along side it's memory usage and a way of
    > seeing this over time.
    >
    > So far the best find is
    > http://eclipsecolorer.sourceforge.net/index_profiler.html however
    > initial looks at this seem to suggest that it will not provide the
    > counts that we're interested in.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be great, if you need any more information from
    > me on this please ask,
    >
    > Setup;
    >
    > JVM 1.4.2
    > Tomcat 5.0.28
    > mod_jk - latest from jpackage.org
    > apache2 using worker
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Most profilers such as JProfiler (my personal favourite) can do this. You
    can connect to the tomcat vm and get all metrics you need. Do note that
    you'll need to configure your server to allow connections from a remote
    profiler. Good luck.

    - Remon
    Remon van Vliet, May 9, 2006

  3. dayjah

    dayjah Guest

    Hi Remon,

    Thanks for the suggestion, jprofiler seems cool. It was easy to get
    integrated and running. Now just what do all of these pretty graphics
    mean ? :)

    /me is off to RTFM

    dayjah
    dayjah, May 9, 2006
  4. dayjah

    none Guest

    dayjah wrote:
    > Hi Remon,
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion, jprofiler seems cool. It was easy to get
    > integrated and running. Now just what do all of these pretty graphics
    > mean ? :)
    >
    > /me is off to RTFM
    >
    > dayjah

    also try eclipse test and performance tools platform
    http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/

    Tim
    none, May 9, 2006