Profiling memory usage in tomcat 5

dayjah

Hi Group,

We have a scenario where we're leaking memory and need a way to inspect
in real time (preferably) or post problem tomcat's memory usage.
Ideally we're looking for some form of stats that show the number of
instances of a given class along side it's memory usage and a way of
seeing this over time.

So far the best find is
http://eclipsecolorer.sourceforge.net/index_profiler.html however
initial looks at this seem to suggest that it will not provide the
counts that we're interested in.

Any suggestions would be great, if you need any more information from
me on this please ask,

Setup;

JVM 1.4.2
Tomcat 5.0.28
mod_jk - latest from jpackage.org
apache2 using worker

Thanks,

Mike

Remon van Vliet

dayjah said:
[...]

Most profilers such as JProfiler (my personal favourite) can do this. You
can connect to the tomcat vm and get all metrics you need. Do note that
you'll need to configure your server to allow connections from a remote
profiler. Good luck.

- Remon

dayjah

Hi Remon,

Thanks for the suggestion, jprofiler seems cool. It was easy to get
integrated and running. Now just what do all of these pretty graphics
mean ? :)

/me is off to RTFM

dayjah