Profiling Remotely on a Linux Server from Local Windows machine

Discussion in 'Java' started by Patrick, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    I have a Java program I am running on a server and I need to profile
    it, how can I best do this taking into account:

    I must run the program on the server which is using linux.

    I can only connect to the server (using ssh) by first connecting to an
    intermediate server and then connecting to the server I need from
    this. So I can't directly connect to the server from my local machine.
    (My-Local-Machine)<-ssh->(Intermediate Server)<-ssh->(Server I need)

    Since I am using ssh I only have the commandline so won't be able to
    use programs which require a GUI.

    I don't want to do anything complicated, Just find out the memory
    usage and where (what methods) the program is spending it's time in.

    Is there some program I could use to profile my program remotely on
    this linux server that would dump the output into a file which I could
    then visualise with some other application on my host machine (which
    is using Windows).

    Any ideas,suggestions, help, greatly apperciated.

    regards,

    pat

    Patrick, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Patrick

    Byron Miller Guest

    I'm not sure for anything less than jdk 1.5 out of the box, however i do
    what your looking to do by using JDK 5 and JMX. I found a nice JMX
    "dashboard" for NetBeans IDE that is freely available - there is a
    commercial one for Eclipse as well.

    http://mc4j.sourceforge.net/

    -byron

    Byron Miller, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Patrick

    Usman Saleem Guest

    Checkout BEA Weblogic JRockit(TM) JVM. It provides excellent profiling
    out of the box (client/server based)

    Regards,

    Usman

    Usman Saleem, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Patrick

    Nigel Wade Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 05:59:11 -0700, Patrick wrote:

    > I have a Java program I am running on a server and I need to profile
    > it, how can I best do this taking into account:
    >
    > I must run the program on the server which is using linux.
    >
    > I can only connect to the server (using ssh) by first connecting to an
    > intermediate server and then connecting to the server I need from
    > this. So I can't directly connect to the server from my local machine.
    > (My-Local-Machine)<-ssh->(Intermediate Server)<-ssh->(Server I need)
    >
    > Since I am using ssh I only have the commandline so won't be able to
    > use programs which require a GUI.
    >
    > I don't want to do anything complicated, Just find out the memory
    > usage and where (what methods) the program is spending it's time in.
    >
    > Is there some program I could use to profile my program remotely on
    > this linux server that would dump the output into a file which I could
    > then visualise with some other application on my host machine (which
    > is using Windows).
    >

    > Any ideas,suggestions, help, greatly apperciated.
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > pat

    The JVM profiler info is text based. Look at the java man page and options
    -Xprof, -Xrunprof.

    I've never actually managed to make much sense of the output myself.

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

    Nigel Wade, Jul 19, 2004