Profiling Remotely on a Linux Server from Local Windows machine

Patrick

I have a Java program I am running on a server and I need to profile
it, how can I best do this taking into account:

I must run the program on the server which is using linux.

I can only connect to the server (using ssh) by first connecting to an
intermediate server and then connecting to the server I need from
this. So I can't directly connect to the server from my local machine.
(My-Local-Machine)<-ssh->(Intermediate Server)<-ssh->(Server I need)

Since I am using ssh I only have the commandline so won't be able to
use programs which require a GUI.

I don't want to do anything complicated, Just find out the memory
usage and where (what methods) the program is spending it's time in.

Is there some program I could use to profile my program remotely on
this linux server that would dump the output into a file which I could
then visualise with some other application on my host machine (which
is using Windows).

Any ideas,suggestions, help, greatly apperciated.

regards,

pat

Byron Miller

I'm not sure for anything less than jdk 1.5 out of the box, however i do
what your looking to do by using JDK 5 and JMX. I found a nice JMX
"dashboard" for NetBeans IDE that is freely available - there is a
commercial one for Eclipse as well.

http://mc4j.sourceforge.net/

-byron

Usman Saleem

Checkout BEA Weblogic JRockit(TM) JVM. It provides excellent profiling
out of the box (client/server based)

Regards,

Usman

Nigel Wade

[...]

The JVM profiler info is text based. Look at the java man page and options
-Xprof, -Xrunprof.

I've never actually managed to make much sense of the output myself.