    I have some problems. I would like to probe other interesting software.

    I use Eclipse.

    Thanks in advance.

    JML, Dec 1, 2004

  2. "JML" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cok6qp$amq$...
    > I need to find memory leaks in my java application, I mean, I need to count
    > the live instances and the amount of used memory of the objects.
    >
    > I need a good profiling software. I used Haydes, Profile Eclipse Plugin, but
    > I have some problems. I would like to probe other interesting software.

    JProbe is an good profiler

    Heiner Kuecker
    Internet: http://www.heinerkuecker.de http://www.heiner-kuecker.de
    JSP WorkFlow PageFlow Page Flow FlowControl Navigation: http://www.control-and-command.de
    Expression Language Parser: http://www.heinerkuecker.de/Expression.html

    Heiner Kücker, Dec 1, 2004

  3. JML

    Jeff Guest

    "JML" <> wrote in message
    >I need to find memory leaks in my java application, I mean, I need to count
    > the live instances and the amount of used memory of the objects.
    >
    > I need a good profiling software. I used Haydes, Profile Eclipse Plugin,
    > but
    > I have some problems. I would like to probe other interesting software.
    >
    > I use Eclipse.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    1. I find Borland's OptimizeIt to be an excellent profiler of memory and
    cpu. I find it easy to identify memory leaks. It's about $800
    2. Recently, I've tried Enerjy(enerjy.com) cpu and memory profiler. They
    plug into your IDE so you can profile while you code. They're nice tools
    and cheaper.
    3. JRockit's JRA tool has good output and a more runtime environment
    orientation. For example, it clearly states heap usage, number of garbage
    collections, etc. But the profiling is not as strong. It's free at
    http://e-docs.bea.com/wljrockit

    1 & 2 both offer free evals.

    Hope this helps,

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 1, 2004
  4. In article <IIsrd.4282$8v3.193@trndny08>,
    "Jeff" <> wrote:

    > "JML" <> wrote in message
    > >I need to find memory leaks in my java application, I mean, I need to count
    > > the live instances and the amount of used memory of the objects.
    > >
    > > I need a good profiling software. I used Haydes, Profile Eclipse Plugin,
    > > but
    > > I have some problems. I would like to probe other interesting software.
    > >
    > > I use Eclipse.

    I have been happy with JProfiler from e-j technologies. The product
    works, and the support team is quite good.

    Allow me to contrast with YourKit. YourKit also is highly regarded, but
    when they had a problem with the Mac JVM, the YourKit team essentially
    said it was an Apple bug that they hoped got fixed someday. A similar
    problem, when faced by e-j technologies, got a workaround that week, and
    a permanent fix within the month.

    I was very happy with e-j technologies responsiveness for JProfiler.

    All JVMs have bugs, and some are really, truly showstoppers. They also
    have bugs with workarounds, and behavioral differences that are not
    bugs. I rate companies highly when they find a way for me to keep
    working, rather than telling me to just hope the other vendor fixes
    things.

    Scott

    Scott Ellsworth, Dec 3, 2004
  5. JML

    yourkit team Guest

    > Allow me to contrast with YourKit. YourKit also is highly regarded,
    but
    > when they had a problem with the Mac JVM, the YourKit team

    essentially
    > said it was an Apple bug that they hoped got fixed someday. A

    similar
    > problem, when faced by e-j technologies, got a workaround that week,

    and
    > a permanent fix within the month.

    Unfortunately, there are some things that could not be worked around.
    But there are good news: upcoming version of YourKit Java Profiler
    (first early access build will be available by the end of December)
    will support Mac OS X.

    yourkit team, Dec 13, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    "yourkit team" <> wrote:

    > > Allow me to contrast with YourKit. YourKit also is highly regarded,

    > but
    > > when they had a problem with the Mac JVM, the YourKit team

    > essentially
    > > said it was an Apple bug that they hoped got fixed someday. A

    > similar
    > > problem, when faced by e-j technologies, got a workaround that week,

    > and
    > > a permanent fix within the month.

    > Unfortunately, there are some things that could not be worked around.
    > But there are good news: upcoming version of YourKit Java Profiler
    > (first early access build will be available by the end of December)
    > will support Mac OS X.

    Fantastic! I will grab it and do some comparisons with JProfiler,
    OptimizeIt, and Apple's Shark, to see what problems YourKit handles
    better than the competition. (Every tool has strengths. If you know
    what they are, then you can recommend them to clients with a clear
    conscience.)

    Scott

    Scott Ellsworth, Dec 13, 2004