profiling software recomendation

JML

I need to find memory leaks in my java application, I mean, I need to count
the live instances and the amount of used memory of the objects.

I need a good profiling software. I used Haydes, Profile Eclipse Plugin, but
I have some problems. I would like to probe other interesting software.

I use Eclipse.

Thanks in advance.

Heiner Kücker

JML said:
I need to find memory leaks in my java application, I mean, I need to count
the live instances and the amount of used memory of the objects.

I need a good profiling software. I used Haydes, Profile Eclipse Plugin, but
I have some problems. I would like to probe other interesting software.

JProbe is an good profiler

Heiner Kuecker
Internet: http://www.heinerkuecker.de http://www.heiner-kuecker.de
JSP WorkFlow PageFlow Page Flow FlowControl Navigation: http://www.control-and-command.de
Expression Language Parser: http://www.heinerkuecker.de/Expression.html

Jeff

JML said:
I need to find memory leaks in my java application, I mean, I need to count
the live instances and the amount of used memory of the objects.

I need a good profiling software. I used Haydes, Profile Eclipse Plugin,
but
I have some problems. I would like to probe other interesting software.

I use Eclipse.

Thanks in advance.
1. I find Borland's OptimizeIt to be an excellent profiler of memory and
cpu. I find it easy to identify memory leaks. It's about $800
2. Recently, I've tried Enerjy(enerjy.com) cpu and memory profiler. They
plug into your IDE so you can profile while you code. They're nice tools
and cheaper.
3. JRockit's JRA tool has good output and a more runtime environment
orientation. For example, it clearly states heap usage, number of garbage
collections, etc. But the profiling is not as strong. It's free at
http://e-docs.bea.com/wljrockit

1 & 2 both offer free evals.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Scott Ellsworth

I have been happy with JProfiler from e-j technologies. The product
works, and the support team is quite good.

Allow me to contrast with YourKit. YourKit also is highly regarded, but
when they had a problem with the Mac JVM, the YourKit team essentially
said it was an Apple bug that they hoped got fixed someday. A similar
problem, when faced by e-j technologies, got a workaround that week, and
a permanent fix within the month.

I was very happy with e-j technologies responsiveness for JProfiler.

All JVMs have bugs, and some are really, truly showstoppers. They also
have bugs with workarounds, and behavioral differences that are not
bugs. I rate companies highly when they find a way for me to keep
working, rather than telling me to just hope the other vendor fixes
things.

Scott

yourkit team

Allow me to contrast with YourKit. YourKit also is highly regarded,
but
when they had a problem with the Mac JVM, the YourKit team essentially
said it was an Apple bug that they hoped got fixed someday. A similar
problem, when faced by e-j technologies, got a workaround that week, and
a permanent fix within the month.

Unfortunately, there are some things that could not be worked around.
But there are good upcoming version of YourKit Java Profiler
(first early access build will be available by the end of December)
will support Mac OS X.

Scott Ellsworth

Allow me to contrast with YourKit. YourKit also is highly regarded, but
when they had a problem with the Mac JVM, the YourKit team essentially
said it was an Apple bug that they hoped got fixed someday. A similar
problem, when faced by e-j technologies, got a workaround that week, and
a permanent fix within the month.

Unfortunately, there are some things that could not be worked around.
But there are good upcoming version of YourKit Java Profiler
(first early access build will be available by the end of December)
will support Mac OS X.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic! I will grab it and do some comparisons with JProfiler,
OptimizeIt, and Apple's Shark, to see what problems YourKit handles
better than the competition. (Every tool has strengths. If you know
what they are, then you can recommend them to clients with a clear
conscience.)

Scott