Progamming python without a keyboard

Philippe Martin

That reminds me a session in an R&D lab a long time ago

One of the guys kept talking to himself, commenting code, bugs ..... he
drove me nuts

Eventually (weeks later) another guy silently stood up, went to the first
guy, and without a word attempted to strangle him.

He got stopped ... but did not get fired (I guess even the management was
tired of the first guy rambling)

We should be aware of all types of RSI.

(I'm still laughing)

Philippe

Eric S. Johansson

Rony said:

its early technology. It's difficult to install and it definitely need
some extra horsepower because the two people developing it are also
disabled (like me). The only thing I've done to support the project is
host two workshops on speech driven programming and let Alain stay in
our guest bedroom.

As I said on another mailing list, this kind of technology is incredibly
important. Depending on whose numbers you use, there are somewhere
between 50,000 and 80,000 developers injured every year, most of them
permanently. Those these people just leave the field because there are
little or no tools to support them. Helping out on this project and
making it easier to use and install may mean the difference between
living a disability and earning a paycheck for a sizable number of people.

I must say however that Python is one of the friendlier languages when
programming by unassisted speech recognition. That is as long as you
keep your symbols ordinary English words and don't try to control
capitalization. The easiest symbols are_like_this the hardest are
CapitalizeWithoutSpaces (six misrecognition errors generating that last
bit. one is still left uncorrected)

So if you want to make a serious difference in people's lives from your
keyboard, you can help out in two ways. The first is helping Alain and
david in the voice coder project. Second is working with probably
myself and a couple of other folks in gnome at-spi land building a
bridge between speech recognition on Windows and complete control of the
environment on Linux.

As I said above and I'm not exaggerating, this kind of assistance makes
a serious, quantifiable difference in the life of people with upper
extremity disabilities. I hope people can help.

--- eric

Benji York

Eric said:
So if you want to make a serious difference in people's lives from your
keyboard, you can help out in two ways. ... Second is working with probably
myself and a couple of other folks in gnome at-spi land building a
bridge between speech recognition on Windows and complete control of the
environment on Linux.

I'm interested in what you mean here. My interpretation is that you
want to/are building a system to interact with a Linux desktop from a
Windows box leveraging the voice recognition built into Windows. Is
this right?