Progamming python without a keyboard

Discussion in 'Python' started by Rony Steelandt, May 4, 2006.

  1. Rony Steelandt, May 4, 2006

  2. That reminds me a session in an R&D lab a long time ago

    One of the guys kept talking to himself, commenting code, bugs ..... he
    drove me nuts

    Eventually (weeks later) another guy silently stood up, went to the first
    guy, and without a word attempted to strangle him.

    He got stopped ... but did not get fired (I guess even the management was
    tired of the first guy rambling)

    We should be aware of all types of RSI.

    (I'm still laughing)

    Philippe

    Philippe Martin, May 4, 2006

  3. Rony Steelandt wrote:
    > http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn9066
    >
    > To nice to be true ?

    its early technology. It's difficult to install and it definitely need
    some extra horsepower because the two people developing it are also
    disabled (like me). The only thing I've done to support the project is
    host two workshops on speech driven programming and let Alain stay in
    our guest bedroom.

    As I said on another mailing list, this kind of technology is incredibly
    important. Depending on whose numbers you use, there are somewhere
    between 50,000 and 80,000 developers injured every year, most of them
    permanently. Those these people just leave the field because there are
    little or no tools to support them. Helping out on this project and
    making it easier to use and install may mean the difference between
    living a disability and earning a paycheck for a sizable number of people.

    I must say however that Python is one of the friendlier languages when
    programming by unassisted speech recognition. That is as long as you
    keep your symbols ordinary English words and don't try to control
    capitalization. The easiest symbols are_like_this the hardest are
    CapitalizeWithoutSpaces (six misrecognition errors generating that last
    bit. one is still left uncorrected)

    So if you want to make a serious difference in people's lives from your
    keyboard, you can help out in two ways. The first is helping Alain and
    david in the voice coder project. Second is working with probably
    myself and a couple of other folks in gnome at-spi land building a
    bridge between speech recognition on Windows and complete control of the
    environment on Linux.

    As I said above and I'm not exaggerating, this kind of assistance makes
    a serious, quantifiable difference in the life of people with upper
    extremity disabilities. I hope people can help.

    --- eric

    Eric S. Johansson, May 5, 2006
  4. Rony Steelandt

    Benji York Guest

    Eric S. Johansson wrote:
    > So if you want to make a serious difference in people's lives from your
    > keyboard, you can help out in two ways. ... Second is working with probably
    > myself and a couple of other folks in gnome at-spi land building a
    > bridge between speech recognition on Windows and complete control of the
    > environment on Linux.

    I'm interested in what you mean here. My interpretation is that you
    want to/are building a system to interact with a Linux desktop from a
    Windows box leveraging the voice recognition built into Windows. Is
    this right?
    --
    Benji York

    Benji York, May 5, 2006