Program for drawing clock cycles?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Allan Herriman, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:24:38 -0800, "Leow Yuan Yeow"
    <> wrote:

    >I dunno whether this is the right place to ask this. Does anyone know of any
    >free programs that allow us to make diagrams of clock cycle timings
    >something like this http://www.clarkspur.com/timingd.htm
    >Thanks!

    Google is your friend:

    Chronology Timing Designer http://www.timingdesigner.com/
    (Expensive, but I expect they have a free evaluation)

    Free, online Timing Tool http://www.timingtool.com/

    SynaptiCAD's WaveFormer http://www.syncad.com
    (evaluation is free)

    Time Crafter
    http://www.goldinc.com/Tour/LongBeach/Businesses/ASR_/overview.html
    (Free)

    True Type Font 'XWave' (for use with text editor)
    http://www.josephpalmer.com/cgi-local/View_Permalink.cgi?entry=2004/6/30/02:31:40:162
    (Free, but only useful for drawing, rather than designing.)

    Of these, I've only used Chronology's Timing Designer in anger. It's
    very expensive (for what it does) but it's often regarded as the best
    tool available for this job.

    Regards,
    Allan

    Allan Herriman, Mar 21, 2006

  2. I dunno whether this is the right place to ask this. Does anyone know of any

    Leow Yuan Yeow, Mar 21, 2006

  3. "Leow Yuan Yeow" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    >I dunno whether this is the right place to ask this. Does anyone know of
    >any free programs that allow us to make diagrams of clock cycle timings
    >something like this http://www.clarkspur.com/timingd.htm
    > Thanks!

    I use TimingStencil for Microsoft Visio, that i made myself. I found that to
    be far easier and produced far better results than using dedicated programs
    that often get in the way and are limiting because they are not really
    drawing programs. And when it comes to exporting to some publishing format
    (EPS,JPG etc.) they all fail in that they fail to produce output that looks
    exactly as on screen. You can grab it at
    http://kom.aau.dk/~ttho02/greyscale/TimingStencil/ . There's no english
    translation of the page (yet), but the pictures are selfexplanatory and the
    stencil is very easy to use. The download is at the bottom of the page.
    Start with the frame-symbol and drag the other symbols
    (signals/date/constraints/labels etc) to the drawing area.

    Thomas Thorsen, Mar 21, 2006