program loaded in memory

Discussion in 'Python' started by Anatoli Hristov, Oct 22, 2012.

  1. Hello,

    I need an advice about a small script I run 24/24 7/7.

    It's a script converted to EXE using py2exe and this script takes -
    grows 30kb RAM on each loop which means that for 10hours it grows up
    with 180mb memory. is there something I can do ?
    >From the ini file I'm loading only the URL and the interval of

    downloading the file
    The script:

    import time
    import urllib

    exec(open("iccm.ini").read())

    loop = 0
    while loop == 0:

    time.sleep(interval*60)
    try:
    urllib.urlretrieve ('"'URL'"'+"/hours.xml", "c:\\config\\hours.xml")
    except IOError:
    pass

    Thanks
    Anatoli Hristov, Oct 22, 2012

  2. On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 02:02:27 +0200, Anatoli Hristov wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I need an advice about a small script I run 24/24 7/7.
    >
    > It's a script converted to EXE using py2exe and this script takes -
    > grows 30kb RAM on each loop which means that for 10hours it grows up
    > with 180mb memory. is there something I can do ?

    Probably. Find the memory leak and fix it.

    What happens if you call it directly from Python, instead of using py2exe?
    Perhaps the memory leak is in py2exe.

    > From the ini file I'm loading only the URL and the interval of
    > downloading the file
    > The script:
    >
    > import time
    > import urllib
    >
    > exec(open("iccm.ini").read())

    If you really must execute your data file as code, use:

    execfile("iccm.ini")

    in Python 2.x. Or better still, change the file to "iccm.py" and do:

    from iccm import URL, interval

    Or even better still, use the ConfigParser module to safely read the INI
    file and extract data from it, without executing it as code. Who knows
    what bugs might be caused by that?

    > loop = 0
    > while loop == 0:

    Since that is never changed, the better way is:

    while True: # loops forever

    > time.sleep(interval*60)
    > try:
    > urllib.urlretrieve ('"'URL'"'+"/hours.xml",
    > "c:\\config\\hours.xml")

    That's not your code, because it gives a syntax error. That code cannot
    run at all.

    Please show us your ACTUAL code.

    There are no obvious memory leaks in the code you show. Probably the
    memory leak is in the code you haven't shown us.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Oct 22, 2012

  3. On 2012-10-22, Steven D'Aprano <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 02:02:27 +0200, Anatoli Hristov wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I need an advice about a small script I run 24/24 7/7.
    >>
    >> It's a script converted to EXE using py2exe and this script takes -
    >> grows 30kb RAM on each loop which means that for 10hours it grows up
    >> with 180mb memory. is there something I can do ?

    > Probably. Find the memory leak and fix it.
    >
    > What happens if you call it directly from Python, instead of using py2exe?
    > Perhaps the memory leak is in py2exe.

    I'm curious how there can be a memory leak in py2exe. I thought all
    it did was bundle up the python interpreter and the required libraries
    into a "private" python installation that's then invoked by the
    wrapper. Does py2exe actually do something after the application has
    started?

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ONE LIFE TO LIVE for
    at ALL MY CHILDREN in ANOTHER
    Grant Edwards, Oct 22, 2012