    author on google groups and ave them in one txt file hopefully without any
    replies, is such a prog availble?

    any help will be greatly appreciated

    Nospam, Sep 10, 2005

  2. Nospam

    Paul N Burke Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:55:44 GMT, "Nospam" <> wrote:

    >I am looking for a program out there that can extract posts of a particular
    >author on google groups and ave them in one txt file hopefully without any
    >replies, is such a prog availble?
    >
    >any help will be greatly appreciated

    Have you the authors permission to do that ?

    Paul N Burke, Sep 10, 2005

  3. On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:13:11 -0500, Paul N Burke <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:55:44 GMT, "Nospam" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for a program out there that can extract posts of a particular
    >> author on google groups and ave them in one txt file hopefully without any
    >> replies, is such a prog availble?
    >>
    >> any help will be greatly appreciated
    >>

    > Have you the authors permission to do that ?

    Besides this being off-topic: Does Google have the authors permission?

    Barbara de Zoete, Sep 10, 2005
  4. Nospam

    John Bokma Guest

    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:13:11 -0500, Paul N Burke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:55:44 GMT, "Nospam" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am looking for a program out there that can extract posts of a
    >>> particular author on google groups and ave them in one txt file
    >>> hopefully without any replies, is such a prog availble?
    >>>
    >>> any help will be greatly appreciated
    >>>

    >> Have you the authors permission to do that ?

    > Besides this being off-topic: Does Google have the authors permission?

    Did the author understand Usenet before he/she started to use it?

    --
    John Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
    Experienced (web) developer: http://castleamber.com/

    John Bokma, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > Besides this being off-topic: Does Google have the authors permission
    > [to archive their Usenet messages]?

    Implicit permission, yes.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 10, 2005
  6. On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:04:11 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >> Besides this being off-topic: Does Google have the authors permission
    >> [to archive their Usenet messages]?

    > Implicit permission, yes.

    To archive, although I'm never to fond of 'opt-out'. To archive. Not to reuse in
    some goofey interface such as Google Groups, as if it was the next great Google
    invention.

    Barbara de Zoete, Sep 10, 2005
  7. Nospam

    John Bokma Guest

    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:04:11 GMT, Leif K-Brooks
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>> Besides this being off-topic: Does Google have the authors
    >>> permission [to archive their Usenet messages]?

    >> Implicit permission, yes.

    > To archive, although I'm never to fond of 'opt-out'. To archive. Not
    > to reuse in some goofey interface such as Google Groups, as if it was
    > the next great Google invention.

    It isn't. It was deja news. And what's the point of an archive if you can't
    access it? Moreover, are there restrictions on how one makes an interface
    to an archive?

    John Bokma, Sep 10, 2005
  8. Nospam

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > Does Google have the authors permission?
    > [to archive posts]

    Google creates a copy of your post on their server; so do thousands of
    other servers. The other servers only keep their copies for a week or so;
    Google keeps their copy for a lot longer.

    Length of retention is the only difference between Google any other NNTP
    servers; length of retention does not factor into copyright law AFAIK.

    So if Google's copies are illegal, so are the copies on every other
    server. (And that is quite possible!)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./tegan_and_sara/if_it_was_you/02_you_went_away.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Sep 10, 2005
  9. Nospam

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:15:57 +0200, "Barbara de Zoete"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:04:11 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:
    >
    >> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>> Besides this being off-topic: Does Google have the authors permission
    >>> [to archive their Usenet messages]?

    >> Implicit permission, yes.

    >To archive, although I'm never to fond of 'opt-out'. To archive. Not to reuse in
    >some goofey interface such as Google Groups, as if it was the next great Google
    >invention.

    In an inaccessible archive, then? Who'd know?

    BB
    --
    www.kruse.co.uk/
    Elvis does my SEO

    Big Bill, Sep 10, 2005
  10. On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:26:30 +0100, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >
    >> Does Google have the authors permission?
    >> [to archive posts]

    > Google creates a copy of your post on their server;

    If it stops there, fine. But it then uses the copy in some fancy but buggy
    interface it calls Google Groups and encourages people to become 'member' to
    participate in them. That part is quite different. I am just not sure I like
    anyone using my posts for something interactive like that. Archive, searchable,
    the like. Great. Reuse them for another purpose and you're slipping and sliding
    somewhere not necessarily good.

    Barbara de Zoete, Sep 10, 2005
  11. On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:21:26 GMT, Big Bill <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:15:57 +0200, "Barbara de Zoete"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> To archive, although I'm never to fond of 'opt-out'. To archive. Not to >>
    >> reuse in some goofey interface such as Google Groups, as if it was the
    >> next great Google invention.

    > In an inaccessible archive, then? Who'd know?

    No, just an archive will be fine. One can search through an archive all one
    wants, just fine. Not communicate through it though. That is a big difference.

    > --

    Your sig-separator is broken.

    Barbara de Zoete, Sep 10, 2005
  12. Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > If it stops there, fine. But it then uses the copy in some fancy but buggy
    > interface it calls Google Groups and encourages people to become 'member'
    > to participate in them.

    Demon (and many others) encourage people to send them money to become
    "customers" to participate in them.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 10, 2005
  13. Nospam

    TJ Guest

    In news:eek:pswwjjmi0x5vgts@zoete_b,
    Barbara de Zoete <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:26:30 +0100, Toby Inkster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does Google have the authors permission?
    >>> [to archive posts]

    >> Google creates a copy of your post on their server;

    > If it stops there, fine. But it then uses the copy in some fancy but
    > buggy interface it calls Google Groups and encourages people to
    > become 'member' to participate in them. That part is quite different.
    > I am just not sure I like anyone using my posts for something
    > interactive like that.

    I don't understand the last part of the paragraph above. If you don't want
    interaction, why post publically at all?

    If it's just newsgroup interaction with incoming posts from Google Groups
    that annoy you, there are many easily implemented ways around that.

    > Archive, searchable, the like. Great. Reuse
    > them for another purpose and you're slipping and sliding somewhere
    > not necessarily good.

    I still don't think I understand. Are you saying you don't mind if your
    posts get archived, so long as nobody can respond to them? Or just that
    nobody who sees them via Google Groups need reply?

    TJ, Sep 10, 2005
  14. On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:02:45 -0400, TJ <> wrote:

    [Google Groups]

    > I still don't think I understand. Are you saying you don't mind if your
    > posts get archived, so long as nobody can respond to them? Or just that
    > nobody who sees them via Google Groups need reply?

    I don't like the 'get to be a member and participate' bit of Google Groups. You
    don't need to be a member to participate in usenet. I know I'me not. Where did
    Google get the idea that they can use content created by _me_ and you and others
    to create a member database they call their own? That's no good.

    Barbara de Zoete, Sep 10, 2005
  15. Paul N Burke wrote

    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:55:44 GMT, "Nospam" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am looking for a program out there that can extract posts of a
    >>particular author on google groups and ave them in one txt file
    >>hopefully without any replies, is such a prog availble?
    >>
    >>any help will be greatly appreciated
    >>

    > Have you the authors permission to do that ?

    I wouldn't have thought he would have needed the author's permission.
    Does Google have your permission to archive your posts?

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Sep 10, 2005
  16. Nospam

    TJ Guest

    In news:eek:pswwkuxxyx5vgts@zoete_b,
    Barbara de Zoete <> typed:

    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:02:45 -0400, TJ <> wrote:
    >
    > [Google Groups]
    >
    >> I still don't think I understand. Are you saying you don't mind if
    >> your posts get archived, so long as nobody can respond to them? Or
    >> just that nobody who sees them via Google Groups need reply?
    >>

    > I don't like the 'get to be a member and participate' bit of Google
    > Groups.

    Why? You personally are either a "member" of an ISP that includes Usenet
    newsgroups as part of your service, or you subscribe to an outside source.

    > You don't need to be a member to participate in usenet.

    Sure ya do. Be it ISP, news provider, or Google Groups, one is required to
    be a 'member' to participate.

    > know I'me not. Where did Google get the idea that they can use
    > content created by _me_ and you and others to create a member
    > database they call their own? That's no good.

    Ever heard of the X-No Archive header? I think Google still honors that,
    though it's of no use if someone includes your entire post in a reply.

    Please fix your signature.

    TJ, Sep 10, 2005
  17. On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:31:56 -0400, TJ <> wrote:

    > In news:eek:pswwkuxxyx5vgts@zoete_b,
    > Barbara de Zoete <> typed:
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:02:45 -0400, TJ <> wrote:
    >>
    >> [Google Groups]
    >>
    >>> I still don't think I understand. Are you saying you don't mind if
    >>> your posts get archived, so long as nobody can respond to them? Or
    >>> just that nobody who sees them via Google Groups need reply?
    >>>

    >> I don't like the 'get to be a member and participate' bit of Google
    >> Groups.

    > Why? You personally are either a "member" of an ISP that includes Usenet
    > newsgroups as part of your service, or you subscribe to an outside source.
    >
    >> You don't need to be a member to participate in usenet.

    > Sure ya do. Be it ISP, news provider, or Google Groups, one is required
    > to be a 'member' to participate.

    I'm not sure. I just sense a difference in having an ISP provide newsgroups, a
    newsserver provide newsgroups or Google provide not only newsgroups but also an
    interface to participate in them (Google being the example here, since there are
    others) and some subscription mechanism with it.

    Barbara de Zoete, Sep 10, 2005
  18. Nospam

    TJ Guest

    In news:eek:pswwmgvamx5vgts@zoete_b,
    Barbara de Zoete <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:31:56 -0400, TJ <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:eek:pswwkuxxyx5vgts@zoete_b,
    >> Barbara de Zoete <> typed:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:02:45 -0400, TJ <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [Google Groups]

    >>> I don't like the 'get to be a member and participate' bit of Google
    >>> Groups.

    >> Why? You personally are either a "member" of an ISP that includes
    >> Usenet newsgroups as part of your service, or you subscribe to an
    >> outside source.
    >>> You don't need to be a member to participate in usenet.

    >> Sure ya do. Be it ISP, news provider, or Google Groups, one is
    >> required to be a 'member' to participate.
    >>

    > I'm not sure. I just sense a difference in having an ISP provide
    > newsgroups, a newsserver provide newsgroups or Google provide not
    > only newsgroups but also an interface to participate in them (Google
    > being the example here, since there are others) and some subscription
    > mechanism with it.

    There's a BIG difference. And I don't blame you for having a problem with
    posts from Google Groups. Who do you think took the overflow when AOL
    discontinued Usenet service a while ago? ;)

    TJ, Sep 10, 2005
  19. Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > I'm not sure. I just sense a difference in having an ISP provide
    > newsgroups, a newsserver provide newsgroups or Google provide not only
    > newsgroups but also an interface to participate in them

    Demon (and most others) provide an interface to participate in them - an
    nntp server.

    > some subscription mechanism with it.

    Like just about any other provider of Usenet access.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 10, 2005
  20. Nospam

    Greg N. Guest

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > I don't like the 'get to be a member and participate' bit of Google
    > Groups. You don't need to be a member to participate in usenet.

    Many old-fashioned usenet servers require you to be some kind of member,
    either through an ISP contract or through other means of registration.
    For many usenet setvers, you even need to pay extra.

    > Where did Google get the idea that they can use content
    > created by _me_ and you and others to create a member
    > database they call their own? That's no good.

    Where did the old fashioned news servers get the idea that they can use
    content created by _me_ and you and others and then charge you and me
    and others to get access? That is worse, no?

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

    Greg N., Sep 10, 2005