Programmable Logic Circuits and C

Pat Cavanagh

HEY GUYS:

I have been a hobbist C programer for 1 year or so...
I am wondering about PLC's and if they can be programmed in C. If so; what
books are there on the subject? Any help is greatly appreciated..

TIA

Pat Cavanagh
(e-mail address removed)

Jack Klein

HEY GUYS:

I have been a hobbist C programer for 1 year or so...
I am wondering about PLC's and if they can be programmed in C. If so; what
books are there on the subject? Any help is greatly appreciated..

TIA

Pat Cavanagh
(e-mail address removed)

PLCs are Programmable Logic Controllers, although sometimes other,
similar acronyms are used. They are generally not programmed, having
their own proprietary programming languages provided by their
manufacturers.

They are really not topical here, perhaps you would have more luck in
comp.arch.embedded.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Glen Herrmannsfeldt

Jack Klein said:
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:30:51 -0300, "Pat Cavanagh"
PLCs are Programmable Logic Controllers, although sometimes other,
similar acronyms are used. They are generally not programmed, having
their own proprietary programming languages provided by their
manufacturers.

Oh, I thought he meant logic programming, as should be done in VHDL or
Verilog. There are people doing it in C, but I think it is a bad idea. C
tends to imply serial execution of statements, but the logic in a circuit is
all active at once. A language that can describe that is somewhat different
than C.

One reason for using C as a hardware description language would be to port
software algorithms to hardware. I believe that if you want a reasonable
implementation an algorithm designed to be implemented in hardware should be
used.

I don't believe that one conforming to the C standard would be very useful,
and a non conforming one would be off topic.

-- glen