Programmatically and dynamically catching exceptions

Logan Capaldo

Allright here was my idea which seems to have been shattered by the
realities of Ruby.

I was thinking of a class called Try. You would do something like

class Try
end

tryblock = Try.new { #This block would normally be wrapped in a begin...rescue
}

tryblock.add_exhandler:)SomeException) { |ex| some_code }

tryblock.execute #or possibly tryblock.call ?

Basically the idea was going to be you could subclass Try and provide
default sensible handling of your Exceptions (if you were writing a
library for instance) . Users could then then wrap it in a
begin...rescue block to catch other exceptions or use add_exhandler to
overide the default handler. (Possibly provide a way to get the old
handler and and use it in the new).

my idea was going to be that I could do something like

begin
user_proc.call
[SomeEx1, SomeEx2, etc..].each do |ex|
rescue ex => e
handler_hash[ex].call(e)
end

Unfortunately the syntax doesn;t seem to allow for this. Am I missing
something? is this just a really bad idea?

Yohanes Santoso

Logan Capaldo said:
[...]

def execute
begin
user_proc.call(*user_proc_args)
rescue Error => e
elt = (exhandlers.select{|obj| e.class == obj.exception_class})[0]
if elt
elt.exception_handler.call(e)
else
raise e
end
end
end
end

YS.

Logan Capaldo

Thanks thats quite neat.

[...]

Robert Klemme

Logan Capaldo said:
Thanks thats quite neat.

[...]

We can save three more lines :)

class Try
def execute
begin
user_proc.call(*user_proc_args)
rescue Error => e
elt = (exhandlers.select{|obj| e.class == obj.exception_class})[0]
raise unless elt
elt.exception_handler.call(e)
end
end
end

Kind regards

robert

Tim Sutherland

Logan Capaldo said:
Thanks thats quite neat.

[...]

As long as we're saving lines...

class Try
def execute
user_proc.call(*user_proc_args)
rescue Error => e
elt = (exhandlers.select{|obj| e.class == obj.exception_class})[0] or raise
elt.exception_handler.call(e)
end
end

Robert Klemme

Tim Sutherland said:
Logan Capaldo said:
Thanks thats quite neat.

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:20:28 +0900, Yohanes Santoso

[...]

Ha! Very nice indeed! Didn't think of that one. :)

robert

Yohanes Santoso

Robert Klemme said:
class Try
def execute
user_proc.call(*user_proc_args)
rescue Error => e
elt = (exhandlers.select{|obj| e.class == obj.exception_class})[0] or raise
elt.exception_handler.call(e)
end
end

Nice! But I think I have left out an important factor in the original
solution. It shouldn't be e.class == obj.exception_class, but rather
e.kind_of?(obj.exception_class).

YS.

Zach Dennis

I'm doing some automated ftp'ing....

begin
#ftp code here
rescue Net::FTPPermError => e
#do nothing for example sake
end

Even though I rescue the Net::FTPPermError, it still makes it to $stderr
if there is an error. What am I missing here? I have tried to rescue all
Exceptions, etc..and it still gets printed. Looking at the code for
chdir we have:

def chdir(dirname)
if dirname == ".."
begin
voidcmd("CDUP")
return
rescue FTPPermError
if $![0, 3] != "500"
raise FTPPermError, $!
end
end
end
cmd = "CWD " + dirname
voidcmd(cmd)
end

If I try to use chdir in my example above to a bogus directory it still
gets printed to $stderr, even though my rescue clause picks it up.
Shouldn't that be the end of it?

Thanks,

Zach

benny

dear list,

maybe I am a bit dump, but the code was only a part of the solution, right?

so I tried to paint the rest of the picture and this was the only way I
could figure out how the "core" may fit into the rest.
(some classes and Try#initialize and Try#add_exhandler were missing,
exhandlers is now attribute etc.)

I'm just curious if this was the way you all thought about it or if I did
miss an easier solution .

regards,
benny

######## the code ###########
# general error class
class Error < RuntimeError
attr_accessor :exception_handler
def initialize(code)
code.call(self)
end
end

# some specific self defined error class
class TestError < Error
attr_accessor :msg
def initialize(msg = nil , &code)
super(code) if code
@msg = msg
end
end

# the Try class
class Try

def initialize(*args, &code)
@user_proc = code
@user_proc_args = *args
@exhandlers = []
end

def add_exhandler(name, &block)
eval("@exhandlers << #{name.to_s}.new() do |obj| obj.exception_handler =
block; end")
end

def execute
elt = (@exhandlers.select{|obj| e.kind_of? obj.class })[0] or raise
elt.exception_handler.call(e)
end
end

######################
# a test
tryblock = Try.new {
puts "doing something..."
raise TestError, "my favorite error message"
#raise "some other error"
}

tryblock.add_exhandler:)TestError) { | ex |
puts "TestError raised!
\n\tbacktrace:#{ex.backtrace}\n\tmessage:'#{ex.msg}'"
}

tryblock.execute

Yohanes said:
Robert Klemme said:
class Try
def execute
user_proc.call(*user_proc_args)
rescue Error => e
elt = (exhandlers.select{|obj| e.class == obj.exception_class})[0] or raise
elt.exception_handler.call(e)
end
end

Nice! But I think I have left out an important factor in the original
solution. It shouldn't be e.class == obj.exception_class, but rather
e.kind_of?(obj.exception_class).

YS.

Zach Dennis

I haven't seen a reply to this thread, so I'll give it one more go.....

When I rescue an Exception shouldn't it be my responsiblity as the
developer to handle it and print it to STDOUT or STDERR? Why does Ruby
1.8.2 still output something to STDERR!!? Is this just how it works?

Zach

----CODE-----
class MyException < Exception; end

def method
raise MyException
end

begin
method
rescue MyException
#shouldn't this rescue the error?
# --Why does it still get outputted to my screen?
end

Joel VanderWerf

Zach said:
I haven't seen a reply to this thread, so I'll give it one more go.....

When I rescue an Exception shouldn't it be my responsiblity as the
developer to handle it and print it to STDOUT or STDERR? Why does Ruby
1.8.2 still output something to STDERR!!? Is this just how it works?

Zach

----CODE-----
class MyException < Exception; end

def method
raise MyException
end

begin
method
rescue MyException
#shouldn't this rescue the error?
# --Why does it still get outputted to my screen?
end

Are you sure that code, exactly, prints something to stderr or stdout? I
can't reproduce it here with 1.8.2 or 1.9 snapshots.

Zach Dennis

Joel said:
Are you sure that code, exactly, prints something to stderr or stdout?
I can't reproduce it here with 1.8.2 or 1.9 snapshots.

Joel you are a lifesaver. Thank you for responding....I stepped out of
my IDE shell and test just via command line. And you are correct, it
doesn't print to stdout or stderr. So then I looked at the difference
between how my IDE was running Ruby and me personally on the CLI. The
debug "-d" option made the difference when calling Ruby. Bah, I guess
that is what happens when you get real comfortable in an IDE.

Thanks so much Joel for responding, otherwise I'd probably still be at
this minor roadblock tomorrow!

Zach