Programmatically Asking for Client Certificate

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Someone Beneath the Blue Sky, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Hello All,

    I have written a web service. I've added the following code to the
    global.asax.cs

    protected void Application_BeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    if ( !Request.IsSecureConnection )
    {
    Response.Redirect(
    Request.Url.ToString().Replace( "http:", "https:" ) );
    return;

    It forces the clients to connect to my web service only through SSL.

    Now I want to force them to supply a client certificate with their
    https request (the corresponding flag on IIS is set to not to require
    client certificate). How can I do that through dotnet (for example
    changing some flag in Requesnt object) ? I know how we can do this
    when using wininet, but don't know how to do that in dotnet.

    Also I want to set the Common Name of the client certificate in the
    server response, so that in case of multiple client certificates if
    doesn't ask the client to choose which certificate to use. Is there
    any way to do this ?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Someone Beneath the Blue Sky, Feb 12, 2004