Programmatically display .MHT files inline

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by srivalli chavali via DotNetMonster.com, May 18, 2005.

  1. Hi.

    I have a PDF file and a MHT file.
    Following is the code I'm using to read the file and display it INLINE in
    the browser.
    PageData is a MemoryStream object that contains the file's actual stream of
    bytes.

    ---------------------------- PDF files ----------------------------
    Response.ContentType = "application/pdf";
    Response.AddHeader("Content-Type", "application/pdf");
    Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "inline;filename=file.pdf");
    PageData.WriteTo(Response.OutputStream);

    ---------------------------- MHT files ----------------------------
    Response.ContentType = "message/rfc822";
    Response.AddHeader("Content-Type", "message/rfc822");
    Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "inline;filename=file.mht");
    PageData.WriteTo(Response.OutputStream);

    Using the above code, I can successfully view the PDF files, but NOT MHT
    files.
    For MHT files, Blank IE window appears and the "View Source" displays the
    following HTML.
    ----
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-
    1252"></HEAD>
    <BODY></BODY></HTML>
    ----
    Please note that I can view both PDF and MHT files successfully as
    attachments, as opposed to being inline.
    i.e., Response.AddHeader("content-disposition",
    "attachment;filename=file.mht"); works absolutely fine.

    I'm wondering if MHT files can be viewed inline at all. If yes, please let
    me know where I'm doing it wrong.

    Thanks in advance.

    -Srivalli.

    srivalli chavali via DotNetMonster.com, May 18, 2005

  2. srivalli chavali via DotNetMonster.com

    DanielSands

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Solution

    Hi Srivalli,

    I too had this exact same problem - I'm working on a web-based email client, and wanted to use Window's mht parsing to display the email, rather than having to parse the content myself. My first approach was to simply create the mht file and redirect to it, but obviously this didn't work - and I just got the "File Download" window. Annoying!

    Anyway, having browsed various forums online with no joy. I finally managed to create a solution. All be it a rather horrible one, but it works non-the-less, so I thought i'd share my findings with you.

    So - the problem here is showing a mht within a browser, and having established that that simply isn't possible, I scratched my head for a while before realizing that the mht file CAN be viewed if opened in a "WebBrowser" component within VB6.

    So, if you create a new DLL - and within that DLL have a form with a WebBrowser component on it - you can pass the requested mht file to it, allow windows to do its stuff - and then grab the innerHTML of the WebBrowser and save it to a html file - which can then obviously be displayed inline on a page.

    Yes, this isn't an elegant solution, but - it works, and is pretty straight forward to implement. I would post examples of the coding - but I currently have the code amongst other (private) things within my DLL, and as the coding is somewhat straight forward - it shouldn't be difficult for you to implement.

    If you need any further information please let me know, otherwise I hope this works for you! And anybody else in the same predicament.

    Regards
    Dan
    DanielSands, Mar 19, 2010