Programmatically Rotate Datagrid Rows

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Jay, May 10, 2005.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I'm wondering if anyone has even encountered a control or other scripting
    that will automatically rotate the rows of a datagrid... I am in the process
    of building an asp.net application that will display statistics on a large
    LCD display for viewing by people within the room (30 feet away). One
    problem is that the screen can obviously only display so much legible data
    at a time. I may have upwards of 60 or 70 rows to display on a rotating
    basis. I need to programmatically display only about 10 or so at a time.
    What I have attempted to do simply use a <marquee direction=up> tag around a
    datagrid, however, I do not want the datagrid header to move. I have also
    tried setting showheader=false in the datagrid and creating my own header,
    however, I can never get the column widths to line up properly (even when
    forcing widths). Ideally I would like the header to remain locked in place
    and have x number of rotating rows from the data bound grid displayed every
    x number of seconds (or minute(s)). Have you ever seen such functionality?
    The content scroller control at
    http://www.telerik.com/r.a.d.rotator/Default.aspx?Tab=Examples&Example=Design/ContentScroller
    looks like it may do something very similar to what I need to accomplish (I
    would need a locked header and fixed width datagrid columns though). Any
    ideas?

    Jay, May 10, 2005

  2. Jay

    J Guest

    Have you thought of a data repeater? I found an example of custom server
    control that repeats for each row in a dataset. This way your display
    could
    be organized in a readable manner. It works great and does account for
    alternating rows. I have an example control and application if you need.

    Best Regards,

    "Jay" <msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm wondering if anyone has even encountered a control or other

    scripting
    > that will automatically rotate the rows of a datagrid... I am in the
    > process of building an asp.net application that will display statistics

    on
    > a large LCD display for viewing by people within the room (30 feet

    away).
    > One problem is that the screen can obviously only display so much

    legible
    > data at a time. I may have upwards of 60 or 70 rows to display on a
    > rotating basis. I need to programmatically display only about 10 or so

    at
    > a time. What I have attempted to do simply use a <marquee direction=up>
    > tag around a datagrid, however, I do not want the datagrid header to

    move.
    > I have also tried setting showheader=false in the datagrid and creating

    my
    > own header, however, I can never get the column widths to line up

    properly
    > (even when forcing widths). Ideally I would like the header to remain
    > locked in place and have x number of rotating rows from the data bound
    > grid displayed every x number of seconds (or minute(s)). Have you ever
    > seen such functionality? The content scroller control at

    http://www.telerik.com/r.a.d.rotator/Default.aspx?Tab=Examples&Example=Des
    ign/ContentScroller
    > looks like it may do something very similar to what I need to accomplish
    > (I would need a locked header and fixed width datagrid columns though).
    > Any ideas?

    It has removed 3307 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    J, May 16, 2005